Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Intel investing 7Bn in new US based fabs, creating 7000 jobs

I think this is great, they are taking advantage of the downturn, its cheap to buy and build things, and thats just what their doing! I see this as a great investment for them!

Quote:
Otellini used the podium at the Economic Forum in Washington, DC this morning to unveil a $7 billion manufacturing initiative over the next two years to add capacity and upgrade existing wafer fabrication plants in Arizona, New Mexico and Oregon, with plans to add 7,000 high-wage jobs in the process.

It's the largest plan of its kind in Intel's history, and shows the company is preparing for a fairly sizeable economic turnaround.

More importantly, the company is earmarking the entire investment in domestic manufacturing and jobs at a time when so many other companies have expanded operations overseas, taking American jobs with them.
"We're investing in America to keep Intel and our nation at the forefront of innovation," Otellini said in this morning's speech.
Source/Full Article
Old February 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think its about time our countries (Canada & USA ) started moving manufacturing back to our shores. That would help turn around all this economic turmoil, or at least be a good start...
Good job for Intel on this one.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 11, 2009, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

they just closed some overseas fabs too! this completely rocks!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Was someone waving a big american flag in background while the speech was going on? lol.

Seriously a good move imo, I think we will continue to see far better products and consistency from Intel.

Good find Chilly,

EE
Old February 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't mind paying a little extra for allowing North Americans to have jobs again. Just like paying extra for Roots clothing.
Old February 11, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bojangles is that shyt still made in Canada or is it a "Product of Canada made with imported fabrics"
Old February 11, 2009, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I wonder if this will turn some AMD fan boys over to intel. They might want to support intel, because they're trying to get the economy turned down, and are creating American jobs while doing so.
Old February 11, 2009, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Need some positive economic news....this downturn is being encouraged by our pessimism from all the media reports...self fulfilling prophecy. Good on Intel
Fold for team #54196
Old February 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

nice thing to do, although you know theyre only doing it because its cheaper now. Had there not been this economic disaster you likely wouldnt see this happen, theyre in it to make money, and if it makes them look good in the process even better.

Nice to see 7000 people getting jobs in the future though, hopefully more companies do the same
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old March 23, 2009, 02:07 AM
Top Prospect

Well said.

Most people should ask themselves why these companies went off-shore in the first place.

Upside is more jobs for ppl here.

Now its about who can weather this storm and come out on top.
Noctua NHD14 140mm air cooler
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.1
4GB G.SKILL PC2-8500 1066 Mhz (5-5-5-15)
Zotac GTX 480
Corsair HX620 modular 620W
Intel X25-m SSD + WD Caviar 640gb + 500 gb
Silverstone TJ-10 B w/ Window
HP 2709M and LNA40a530