Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2008, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

We all fall victims to our own thirst for hardware. Hell It was only 6 months ago I bought an 8800 Akimbo for almost 300 hahahahaha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think this is good for getting crazy deal on the 65mn version. If you get a decent cooling solution for them, you can easily overclock them to the newer card level. So the big news for me is the X2, ATI will lose the crown.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 11, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@ Cam at least you didn't pay that x 2, never again will I do that.

Zoljack is right that the GTX280 is no slouch, as for the upgrade its likely my step up will expire before its release if the GTX285 proves to be "godly" better than the GTX280 I might consider it.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
So how many GTX280 buyers are cursing right now?
I'm not touching the GTX295, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that the GTX285 will perform any better clock-for-clock. So unless this die-shrink REALLY gives them some higher clock headroom, I think I'll be alright.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I'm not touching the GTX295, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that the GTX285 will perform any better clock-for-clock. So unless this die-shrink REALLY gives them some higher clock headroom, I think I'll be alright.
You should be fine. The only reason I'm probably grabbing the 285 is the heat issue since I've got limited space in my small case for rads and I am hoping with the reduced TDP I might get away with less rad on the GPUs which would allow me to cool my motherboard as well.

We'll see, I guess.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What will be your rad situation ? Pa 120.2 for 2 GTX280 ?

Sold hardware again.....
Old December 11, 2008, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
What will be your rad situation ? Pa 120 for 2 GTX280 ?
It would be a PA 120.2 for 2 GTX 285 (maybe three)

Then I have a PA 120.1 which I can either add to the GPU loop or use for the motherboard. I think I'll probably need it on the GPUs, but I'm going to do some testing first. Definitely on the GTX 280, I'd need it on the GPUs, but I'm hoping the 285 has a lower TDP.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Did you get a line on chipset blocks for that board? I know there's a thread over on XS, but I didn't think anything had come from it yet.

Personally, if you've got the necessary radiator coverage for the GPUs, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to handle the chipset as well. They may hit high temperatures, but they don't necessarily put out a lot of thermal energy. Your coolant might go up another degree or two, but a GPU isn't going to care about two degees. Worst case scenario, up the fans by 100-200rpm and you should be golden.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My experience is that a fan like antec spot cool does the job on the North bridge, at least for my P6T, southbridge is no issue with somekind of air movement in the case. So unless you like the Mobo watercooling for the fun fator, it does not seem to be needed, in the Asus case anyway. All this is for a 24/7 type of use, for benching and crazy voltage, the answer would be different.

My PA 120.3 is cooling the CPU I7 @ 4.1 and a GTX280 quite well. So I would guess, 2 GTX280 on a 120.2 + 120.1 is more than enough.

A 120.2 on a overclocked i7 will do the trick.
I used to have my ''gettho'' mounted d-tek V1 on an MCR220 with two fans keeping the Fully Boinc Loaded i7 under 70C. A PA120.2 with 4 fan should do a couple of degrees better and my mouting was far from being the best.

EDIT : nija'd by MPG.... I agree, add the Northbridge and wathever to your GPU or even the CPU Loop and you wont see a difference.

And unless the GTX285 prove to be better clock for clock I would jump on the current and upcoming special for the 65MN version,

Sold hardware again.....
Old December 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vincent at BP has said he'll make one eventually. My issue with those blocks is the restriction on an already complicated tri-SLI loop.
XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Mosfet/NB/SB Blocks

My loops will be as follows:
120.2 with MCP 655 and EK Supreme on the i7 920

Then 120.2 + 120.1 and MCP 655 on the GPUs with DD Tieton blocks