Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2008, 09:37 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default OCZ Unveils Vertex Series Solid State Drives

OCZ have just introduced a new high-performance solid state drive series, the Vertex.
Here's what they had to say:

"OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and computer components, today unveiled the OCZ Vertex SATA II 2.5” Solid State Drive (SSD) Series, a premium offering for enthusiasts demanding the latest technology in this fast-developing sector of the storage market. The latest high-performance and cost-efficient SSD, OCZ has gained momentum in pioneering flash storage technology while maintaining a price point that is truly within the reach of a wide range of consumers.

“The new Vertex Series of SSD drives are a premium MLC based SSD solution that are designed for consumers that require fast, rugged, and reliable solid state storage,” commented Eugene Chang, Director of Product Management for the OCZ Technology Group. “The Vertex makes use of our newest architecture and controller design complete with 64MB of cache to offer faster transfers and superior overall system response times in a broad range of applications and games.”

Offering your system the incredible performance of flash-based technology, The OCZ Vertex Series delivers the performance and reliability of SSDs at less price per gigabyte than other high speed offerings currently on the market. The OCZ Vertex Series is the result of all the latest breakthroughs in SSD technology, including new architecture and controller design, blazing 200MB/sec read and 160MB/sec write speeds, and featuring up to 64MB onboard cache. Like its predecessors the Core and Solid Series, OCZ continues to place solid state technology within reach of the average consumer, and delivers on the promise of SSDs as an alternative to traditional hard drives in consumer targeted mobile applications. The Vertex Series will not replace any of the existing series of SSD’s but will complement them at the higher end of the performance spectrum."

More...

Product Page.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

According to Tony, these aren't going to be using a Jmicron controller, unlike many of the earlier models that were causing grief under some situations. As long as pricing is halfway decent, these might just be the SSD's that get me to bite the bullet and buy. Guess we'll see how they perform in RL, and what the exchange rate is like then.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

30, 60, 120 and 250gig sizes. Looks like they are starting to get up there, however I do not want to know what the 250gig version costs, that would kill all my dreams.

But the tech does look like it is moving forward and hopefully coming down in price. I need an ultra reliable back up drive for vital stuff soon.
Old December 11, 2008, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Vertex series SSD drives are available in ample storage capacities of 30GB, 60GB, 120GB, and 250GB. MSRPs at the time of launch are USD $129, $249, $469, and $869 for 30GB-250GB models respectively.
Yeah, still pricey compared to regular HDD's, but a definite improvement over current MLC offerings.
Old December 11, 2008, 04:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Like any new Tech, this will take a while before the price stabilizes and the technology becomes viable in the mainstream market and not just for us.

Its nice to see though, because they have the potential to become fast, reliable and take up less space doing so.
Wonder how long until cases start comming equipped with a 2.5" SSD Rack ready to go.

Thanks for the post,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm gonna wait until Memristors make the standard memory component ofhard drives before I go anywhere near solid-state...
Old December 11, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Too expensive, but I want SSDs at some point in the next year or so.

My Raptors are too loud.
Old December 11, 2008, 10:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Too expensive, but I want SSDs at some point in the next year or so.

My Raptors are too loud.

I Have Xtreme Turbine Fans. Makes a raptor sound tame

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 11, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow...that is loud. But mine is loud late at night when everything else is quiet. It's the loudest thing in my PC.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

But they push soooo much Air! lol!
Its my fault because I don't set them on the MB 3 pin. Straight Molex for full Speed!

I already can't justify a SSD yet though.
I spent waaaay too much on my Raptors, and now they make something better.
Will have to wait till either I pop both drives or they come down enough to justify.

ST