Old December 5, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX 260 55nm Pictured

Found this over at XS:

Quote:
Zotac GeForce GTX 260 Pictured

NVIDIA will be releasing 55nm versions of the G200 graphics processor, which provides better thermal and power characteristics. What's more, NVIDIA could allow its partners to come up with their own designs or colour themes right away, at least from what can be seen with the Zotac GeForce GTX 260. The card uses a blue PCB, without a cooler shroud at the back of it. In the current iteration of the GeForce 200 series, memory chips are also located at the back of the card, requiring a heatspreader. In the newest iteration of the PCB, several changes are brought about:
  • Toned-down power circuitry overall, with 4 phase vGPU and 2 phase vMem
  • Aluminum support-brace surrounding the GPU
  • Memory chips located only on one side of the PCB, leaving nothing at the back-side of the PCB that requires cooling, hence no heatspreader

The GPU is marked G200-103-B2 indicating it has been manufactured under the 55nm node. The card's cooler has been reportedly designed by Cooler Master, it is a monolithic surface with copper contacts over crucial components, with thermal pads. The GPU uses a fluid thermal compound to make contact with the cooler. Below are pictures showing the differences between the current GeForce GTX 200 PCB and the one that the new GTX 260 will sport, among other details. The card is expected to hit retail channels by January.

Expreview

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpo...82&postcount=1
Looks like they changed the layout of the mem chips a bit. I wonder what this bodes for full-coverage waterblocks
Old December 5, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

why still such a big cooler? Its no smaller than the one for the 65nm one...

Good to see Nvidia stepping it up

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 5, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Note they put all the RAM chips on the same side of the card.

No more backplate.
Old December 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks zlojack, this looks interesting. I wonder how much better it will perform, sure will be a little cooler on temps side. And yea there is also a pic in there that shows both the current and future PCB so you can directly compare both of them.

The new design somehow looks similar the ATI 4870 card, not very but they are similarities, espcially the ram chips are lined up almost identical.

You know, makes me want to come back to Nvidia, I just hope in the coming year, ATI card manufacturers start offering better and longer warranty support.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 5, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The die shrink should at the very least reduce temps and hopefully allow for higher OCs on the core.

That's the theory anyway.

The different layout throws a bit of a wrench in my plans.

I was going to go for GTX 260 Core 216s for now and then step up to the 280 55nm. But if my full cover waterblocks won't fit the new cards, I might have to change my strategy a bit.

Maybe just get one card for now and then get the new ones when they appear next year in January.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

OCs won't be affected too much but power consumption and heat output will be.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
OCs won't be affected too much but power consumption and heat output will be.
That's a good thing.

I'm planning to run SLI or even tri-SLI on a 120.2 + 120.1 loop, so anything that helps temps is good.

If the temps are more manageable, the 120.2 might be enough and I could throw the chipset on the 120.1
Old December 5, 2008, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Full Cover Blocks eh?.. You know it was the first and last mistake I did myself, I went with a FC block for a 4870, which ended up shorting/killing my card (trying for RMA).. also I can't use it on anything else, unless ATI implements the same design on something else.

Better just to buy a universal core only cooler, something like d-tek vga v2 or a swiftech block. And then the ramsinks are there, enzotech are some very nice ones available, you can the cost will probably be lesser than buying a full cover block.

Thermochill rads take on almost anything and everything, but the new Feser Rads seem to be doing pretty good. Always good to have a backup rad in there incase of heat issues, you could cool the chipset and maybe the northbridge, if you desire to, seperately on the 120.1. Makes me wonder if the that 120.2 can handle a triple card setup (if you are planning the cpu also), I know you could cool a cpu and dual sli setup with a 120.2, but you know gpus are much warmer and heat generating that cpus.

Sorry to off topic, good luck with your setup though. :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 5, 2008, 11:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Read some rumors from supposed inside sources that this part is a wash. nVidia broke some design rules that hurt shrinking to 55nm. They will put out a few hundred to say they did it and that's it. There was a bunch of techno babble but you can see from the screens that is the only gpu you'll see that has both a heat spreader and a metal stress ring around it.
Old December 5, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Full Cover Blocks eh?.. You know it was the first and last mistake I did myself, I went with a FC block for a 4870, which ended up shorting/killing my card (trying for RMA).. also I can't use it on anything else, unless ATI implements the same design on something else.

Better just to buy a universal core only cooler, something like d-tek vga v2 or a swiftech block. And then the ramsinks are there, enzotech are some very nice ones available, you can the cost will probably be lesser than buying a full cover block.

Thermochill rads take on almost anything and everything, but the new Feser Rads seem to be doing pretty good. Always good to have a backup rad in there incase of heat issues, you could cool the chipset and maybe the northbridge, if you desire to, seperately on the 120.1. Makes me wonder if the that 120.2 can handle a triple card setup (if you are planning the cpu also), I know you could cool a cpu and dual sli setup with a 120.2, but you know gpus are much warmer and heat generating that cpus.

Sorry to off topic, good luck with your setup though. :)
I have a second 120.2 just for the CPU in a dedicated loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Read some rumors from supposed inside sources that this part is a wash. nVidia broke some design rules that hurt shrinking to 55nm. They will put out a few hundred to say they did it and that's it. There was a bunch of techno babble but you can see from the screens that is the only gpu you'll see that has both a heat spreader and a metal stress ring around it.
What's wrong with it? Any further specifics there? I was wondering about that stress ring.