Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default ATi to launch RV790? Good news for budget gamers.

Looks like Ati going to be doing a refresh for hd 4870 , that means they probably going to lower the price on the HD4870
Crossing my fingers for a $200 HD4870

Source
Old December 1, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With what the 4870 can do now, it'd be hard to fine-tune it anywhere...there really isn't much room for improvement of the technology on the cards right now. It's mostly software that they can do. I think AMD will have to lower their prices based on performance against nVidia rather than beating their own performance.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

This'll be good for production costs (and hopefully final price), and hopefully for clock speeds and power efficiency, but what ATI really needs to start doing is to work with the game developers to the extent that Nvidia's been doing. Love it or hate it, Nvidia's TWIMTBP hasn't been without results.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

RV 790? I've never heard of that, if it gets into production I'm guessing it will be called the 4890. I hope ATI starts developing/producing the new chip now, because price cuts won't do it when it comes to Nvidia's GT-200b platform, ATI will be beaten at their own game, in terms of manufacturing process size
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old December 2, 2008, 09:18 AM
Banned
F@H

R780...rv790...
Old December 2, 2008, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
This'll be good for production costs (and hopefully final price), and hopefully for clock speeds and power efficiency, but what ATI really needs to start doing is to work with the game developers to the extent that Nvidia's been doing. Love it or hate it, Nvidia's TWIMTBP hasn't been without results.
Yeah dump millions of dollars in laps of the rich dogs like UBISOFT to pull support for DX10.1 in games because it makes them look bad? I guess thats TWIMTBP.

ATI isn't beaten at their own game, they changed the game, Nvidia has been scrambling to match the 4870 like mad since its release, what how man renames, revamps and re-releases of the same old refrhed rehashed product can one do? Hell they dropped the price what 25% over night after ATIs HD4800 series release?

I would say DAAMIT has Nvidia on the run, with 2 million R700s sold to date? that me boys is a come back.

Do not get me wrong, Nvidia has a great product, but they are the ones scrambling. R800 series is coming as well. A refresh of the R700 isn't out of the ordinary, 55nm is still fresh and new, ATI were the first and bound to see improvements for a refresh and cost reductions.

Competition heralds great things for the consumer, and mark my words, ATI fanbois like myself need Nvidia as much as their Fanbois need ATI.

Can you imagine the crap Intel would produce if there was no AMD? man we all would still be forced to buy Netburst crappola, not the awesome Core2.

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old December 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Can you imagine the crap Intel would produce if there was no AMD? man we all would still be forced to buy Netburst crappola, not the awesome Core2.
This perception is wrong. INtel is a business, and as such, must continue to release new products, competition or not. They do not make money by selling one single chip...they make money by meeting people's needs. As those needs have changed, the products that they offer have changed.

AMD has a different solution to meet the same needs, and thier design choices really dictate what market they were trying to meet...it has nothing to do with competition for engineers...they either engineer, or they find a new way to put money on the plate.

Let's also put it this way, competition ruins the industry, not forwards it. The excessuve stocks of inventory and research and development costs, seperate, but unto the same end, waste money. If Intel and AMD worked together to release a chip, we'd all be better off.

If the joint develop,ent costs were put together to design a single product, that product would be better, due to the extra resources going into it. Instead, we have a "performance" competition every six months that doesn't really offer anything to the end consumer other than further expenses and overfilling landfills.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

pfffft, like Exmortis said, we'd be running 10ghz pentiums with a 90 stage pipeline. Intel had us buy into the more mhz game plan and we bought it until the athlon came along.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
pfffft, like Exmortis said, we'd be running 10ghz pentiums with a 90 stage pipeline. Intel had us buy into the more mhz game plan and we bought it until the athlon came along.
Heh... what kind of wattage would we need just to get that sucker through post???? :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old December 2, 2008, 03:56 PM
Banned
F@H

1500w, just for the cpu...

Yeah, netburst was awesome.

not. Heh. It left because it COULDN"T scale, due to power consumption, not becuase of AMD.