Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   AMD 3.0GHz Quad Unlocked.. is AMD coming back ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/11883-amd-3-0ghz-quad-unlocked-amd-coming-back.html)

cwestwell November 17, 2008 09:30 AM

AMD 3.0GHz Quad Unlocked.. is AMD coming back ?

New AMD Products coming to save the day ??

Phenom II, Athlon X4, oh my… - The INQUIRER

Now even though the new AMD line will likely get trumped by i7 I wont lie the prospect of an Unlocked AMD 3.0Ghz Quad Core Phenom II with 6MB of L3 Cache sounds pretty sweet. The main thing I am thinking is AMD's Unlocked Black Edition CPU's cost way less then the Intel Extreme Edition CPU's so if AMD can release this at a decent price point I may just go back to AMD for the next build.

Only time will tell I guess :thumb:

sswilson November 17, 2008 10:04 AM

Only time will tell, but now would be a great time for AMD to produce a processor that folks wanted to buy, especially with the high cost of moving to i7.

Jonwall November 17, 2008 10:27 AM

I hope that these can actually compete in performance or at least be as good of a deal as the athlon x2s, as of now i dont see the point in getting a phenom when i need a new mobo anyways and can get a q6600. Luckily for me this is RIGHT when i plan to get the new mobo and cpu, so hopefully the benchmarks are out fast and i dont go buy an intel only to wish i had bought an amd. AMD needs this as well with their current issues

bojangles November 17, 2008 12:14 PM

I'm going to have to agree with this as well. I hope these new Phenoms, with the die shrink and all the errata fixed, that these will be a good price/performance chip. If AMD does produce good chips, Intel will most likely have to lower their 45 nm Q9000 series CPUs in order to compete. I would love to try AMDs CPU at least one time. However, I would like ot try overclocking a little bit, and have not entered this kind of territory. Also, from some of the slides that AMD presented, the overclocking scheme looks very fishy, meaning that they said that these chips could hit past 4 GHz if water cooled. Looking at the history of these chips, I don't think I will expect something like that, unless they pulled a miracle out of their ass.

cwestwell November 17, 2008 12:49 PM

I will admit I am crossing my fingers for an out of ass miracle...Come on AMD

WOO HOO 500th Post

zlojack November 17, 2008 01:22 PM

These are supposedly going to compete with Penryn :sad:

bojangles November 17, 2008 01:29 PM

That's okay though zlojack, because Penryn chips are still more than enough performance to play today's and tomorrow's games. For the prices that we believe will be dictated for these, I think they will be top contenders in that price segment, due to the integrated memory contoller.

sswilson November 17, 2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlojack (Post 113579)

That's not necessarily a bad thing if they can keep the price competative. They don't have to be able to compete for the top spots, all they really need to do is produce a CPU that doesn't suck which has some overclocking capabilities.

Hell, if I were AMD I would have released a grotesquely under binned proc at a great price just to give the enthusiasts the thrill of getting a 100% OC like many of us got with the E1200 chip. :)

cwestwell November 17, 2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zlojack (Post 113579)

That isn't a terrible thing because they will compete with the price range of Penryn which is great...and considering the Intel EE Penryn is $1500-$1700 if the AMD equivalent is in the $500 range then I will definetly rock and roll with AMD.

Intel may of created a little bit of a golden cow with the i7 it is a decent step forward in a lot of ways but the tech it is replacing is not yet obsolete. They have priced them well but I think I will either wait till the next batch or go AMD depending on many things of course.

zlojack November 17, 2008 01:47 PM

Very good points.