Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2008, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default WPA Cracked.

Tool to Crack Wi-Fi's WPA Will Appear Next Week - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

Tool will be out next week apparently.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting, but it's not going to change the way I use my wireless connections.

I've always treated a wireless connection the same way I treat my cordless phone.... I automatically assume that somebody could be listening in if they really want to.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It was just a matter of time.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually use encryption and MAC address locking just for added masures. I'm sure someone could clone a MAC address somehow but I'm not sure it's all that easy lol.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:16 PM
MVP

And I'm still using WEP cause of my NDS :(

For those who care about security, switch to WPA2 or AES.

Follow up news...

"The reports earlier today on WPA's TKIP key type being cracked were incorrect. I spoke at length with Erik Tews, the joint author of the paper that discloses a checksum weakness in TKIP that allows individual short packets to be decrypted without revealing the TKIP key. I wrote this up for Ars Technica with quite a bit of background on WEP and WPA. Tews's paper, co-written with Martin Beck, whom he credits as discovering and implementing a working crack (in aircrack-ng as a module), describes a way to use a backwards-compatible part of TKIP to exploit a weakness that remains from WEP. ARP packets and similarly short packets can be decoded. Longer packets are likely still safe, and TKIP hasn't been cracked. Don't believe the hype, but the exploit is still notable."
Source: Slashdot | The Real Story On WPA's Flaw
Old November 7, 2008, 07:19 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I actually use encryption and MAC address locking just for added masures. I'm sure someone could clone a MAC address somehow but I'm not sure it's all that easy lol.
werd. WPA2, SSID off, MAC address locks. I feel pretty safe.
Old November 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
werd. WPA2, SSID off, MAC address locks. I feel pretty safe.
Here I thought I was the only one actually using MAC locking
While fairly easy to get around its still 1 more level of safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 7, 2008, 07:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've always used the "block all macs but the ones specified" settings on my routers, but still wouldn't trust wireless to do my banking.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 7, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've always used the "block all macs but the ones specified" settings on my routers, but still wouldn't trust wireless to do my banking.
With a very large yard and little to no neighbors I probably don't even have to worry, I doubt that anybody could get a signal unless they came into the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 7, 2008, 08:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

There are many tools available that will let you find the MAC address of active clients and let you fake your own, so it only really prevents the most basic of hackers. But, every extra level helps. I personally have SSID disabled (again fairly easy to bypass), MAC filtering to only allow set clients and WPA2 personal (it would be enterprise if it wasn't for my brothers MacBook) and a WPA key of randomly generated characters (letters/numbers/symbols, which is a PITA to type, but worth it IMO).