Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2008, 08:07 AM
MVP

Just like automotive racing (particularly Formula 1), technology tends to bleed down into mainstream in time. While I am sure that Asus will hold the best of these features only in the ROG boards for as long as they can, eventually we should see some of this tech in their other high end offerings. Once other board manufacturers copy them and include in their less than extreme offerings, that's when I see Asus capitulating. We can see this already happening with the onboard power on and reset switches, q-connector, O.C. Profile, cmos reset switch, etc.

You can be sure, though, that there will be other newer features in the ROG boards that will replace anything they add to mainstream.

The temperature probs and headers are a great feature! This is something I would like to see in any board they produce that has the LCD poster, or could be used with Asus Probe (without the lcd). These thermistors are quite accurate, the problem is mounting them where they can get a good contact to the hottest point in the part.

There is definately a benefit in buying an ROG board. You get all the goodies, now!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; October 29, 2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:16 PM
MVP

I'm guessing none of you people who are drooling over asus ever had to deal with their customer support?
Old October 29, 2008, 07:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Have you ever tried CALLING for support? I've never had issue.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
MVP

I once had to. With an early s775 board, which had a bunch of blown caps. The board was on it's third year, and Asus warrantys them for three years. It took some futzing around till I got the right phone number. I got through to a real person quickly, and was given an RMA number and address. I shipped the board, cost about $20. The board came back in about 6 weeks. The S/N on the board matched the one I shipped, so they replaced all the bad caps instead of giving me a new board. No problemo... in fact I was impressed thus far.

Then I dropped the original CPU in it, booted up, and... nothing. I tried a different CPU, nothing, no post no beep. I tried the original CPU in a different board, no problem. I tried different RAM and slots, nothing.

So I shipped them an incredibly unstable mobo, but it still booted. They replaced all the caps and shipped it back to me without testing it first. The board is dead as a doornail.

In the end, I was not impressed.

However, I did get service, which is pretty hard to get with other manufacturers. For example, Galaxy made a bunch of s775 nForce boards (not sure if they are still making them). Try to find me any sort of contact number or email to start an RMA or get any support. In fact, try to find an updated BIOS for one of their products! Their website is bereft of anything, and if you are lucky will just pass you through to nVidia. Piss-poor.

With a boards such as these Rampage, things would be quite different. You simply take it back to NCIX for a refund or exchange. Get a VIP account by saving up points from clicking the link in the weekly newsletter. Then, you get free RMA shipping to and from NCIX whenever you have a problem with a part.

If the board has no problems in the first month or two, it is very unlikely to have problems down the road. NCIX will deal with it, not Asus or you.

Last edited by Lithotech; October 30, 2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
MVP

With solid caps, it would be surprising to have a motherboard fail without some goofing from the user. NCIX is good in this area for 1 year so you are safe.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 31, 2008, 10:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
With solid caps, it would be surprising to have a motherboard fail without some goofing from the user.
Heheh, considering that these boards are designed for extreme use and what people may be doing with them and the DMM points and OC dial, it seems to me that there may be a lot of goofed RMA incidents.

Old November 1, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

I bet that was the REAL reason for ProbeIt - to keep some of us idiots from soldering our boards into oblivion by accident.

I wonder if these companies do in-depth post-mortem exams of the boards they've RMA'd? I wonder how many of them have strangely uneven solder around key voltage measurement points, or several layers of pencil lead on certain contacts? Traces of dielectic grease in the CPU socket? We can only wonder...