Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2007, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Canada A Den of Theives?

Stick it to the man! (disclaimer: HC in no way condones the illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials )

UNLIKELY BEDFELLOWS Microsoft and Apple have asked the US Government to put Canada on its priority blacklist of intellectual property crooks, saying the country isn't doing enough to prevent their products being ripped off.

But the Government decided against it and Canada narrowly missed being included on the list of the usual prime suspects China, Russia, Argentina, Chile, Egypt, India, Israel, Lebanon, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine and Venezuela. So, for the fourth year running, Canada remains in the second division of copyright crooks, along with Belarus, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Hungary, Indonesia, Italy, Jamaica, South Korea, Kuwait, Lithuania, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.

Read more at the Inquirer
Old May 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

how to respond...

I am appalled that corporate America is able to condemn another countries governing body??? as if they are the moral watchdogs of the rest of the world?

This is the same BS they tried when they wanted the CRTC to begin prosecuting teenagers for illegal music DL's a few years ago, or, when they said they were going to blacklist Canada and stop giving us first release movies.

Unfortunately, the technology is readily available in many different forms for free ALL OVER THE DAM INTERNET.

They are unable to police this matter in their own country yet want us to do something...pffft get bent

And, can you say NAFTA, the BS trade agreement that dickhead Mulroney gave us, that the US seems to want to pretend doesn't exist whenever it doesn't work in their favor?

If I don't have anything nice to say I usually keep my mouth shut, but when profit seeking corporations (the same ones that sell bullets, guns, land mines, missiles, pesticides & herbicides used in the manufacture of poisons) tell Canadians that we should not be selling multimedia devices to foreign countries or fining and imprisoning our citizens for listening to a song or movie I tend to get a little pissed regardless of the legalities

I believe the US government has realized they have greatly alienated there neighbor and trading partner over the last few years of the Bush administrations tenure and that any further provocation would have an extremely negative backlash considering our economy and dollar are healthy while the US slides toward an inevitable postwar recession...

and as an afterthought: Microsoft Q1 profits up | The Register
Apple Reports First Quarter Results

Old May 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAHA! always a pleasure to read your two cents- Don't get me started on NAFTA though- I'm in the forestry industry.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Oh my god Scratch!

That was so well said! I don't really know big sophisticated words in English so ill just say it the way i can. You sound like you have a Head on your shoulders! Again well said!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old May 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Avast Matey !!! Thar be software to PLUNDER !!!

I'll be running Linux before I would ever get Vista.
Old May 2, 2007, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
HAHA! always a pleasure to read your two cents- Don't get me started on NAFTA though- I'm in the forestry industry.
Where thew hell is our softwood cash huh?

Really we already pay a tariff on media in Canada to appease the riaa.
Way I see it is I have to recoup that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 2, 2007, 03:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Tell me about it, my hometown is pretty much bankrupted because of the softwood lumber "deal". NAFTA didn't work too well there huh.
Old May 2, 2007, 09:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Digg users revolt over attempt to block encryption code
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/223/4...de6adc20_o.jpg

and I believe my point has been made...
Old May 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
MVP

this is nothing more than an american attempt to export their laws. they look at us and see we are lax compared to them and its giving them fits. they simply cannot stand that there are people out in the big non american world wo do not think the way they do.

in any case if i'm not mistaken , we pay a levy on blank recording media. as long as that takes place i would say whoever "downloads" is already paying for what ever they get.

all that aside, industry has missed the boat on this one. they had a chance to grab the bull by the horns and make a killing here. instead they fall back on outdated business models and whine about lost profit. there are a few (very few) places where one can download movies etc completely legally. i believe most of them can control through DRM where the movies can be played.

this could go on for ages. they've lost the war, they just wont admit it. the situation is still salvageable if they would only open their eyes, they could probably make more money than they ever dreamed of.

cheers

a pox on the riaa

while i do not condone copying, suing grandmothers,etc is a bit much
Old May 8, 2007, 10:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Warner Bans Canadian Promo Screenings to Battle Piracy, Cries into Giant Money Pile of Money

Well, there you have it lol I think that was a good article and I don't believe I need to rent, pay or go to any more WB movies lol

I haven't owned a TV for 12 years as I could no longer handle the drivel they refer to as programming, so it will not be any major disruption of my life to boycott movie studios who attempt to influence Canadian politics