Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default TRUE copper version - coming soon

http://en.expreview.com/2008/09/18/u...n-coming-soon/

um... i want one?
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old September 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love the writers errors though, "3.0kg" JESUS, that's over 6 pounds! LOL but he meant 3lbs lol 1.5kg!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 27, 2008, 05:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think I'd want one. Correct me if I'm wrong here but the last I read on the topic having a copper base going to aluminum heat spreaders is far more efficient than just copper alone. I read in an indepth analysis of thermal properties that stated while copper is more efficient at conducting heat that aluminum is superior in dissapating heat and thats why the lions share of HS models use this principle. It's all fine and well that copper can trap the heat but it's efficiency in getting rid of it from it's denser structure takes a back seat to aluminums ability to radiate that heat into the air. Regardless if I won the 6/49 I'd grab one cuz the bling factor would be something to behold and damn the .004 degree heat dissipation haha.
Old September 27, 2008, 07:21 PM
Allstar

Heatpipes, no. The fins, yes. Cu has a greater thermal conductivity than Al, therefore, it is easier to transfer heat to Cu. However, Cu also has a greater mass than Al. As such, Cu will retain more heat than Al -- that is why Al dissipates heat better.

Ideally, the best solution is to have more all-copper heatpipes with direct contact to the heatspreader (the like Xigmatek's HDT-S1283). Then, the fins should be aluminum, because fans blowing on aluminum fins will cool faster due to the lower mass.

Edit: Well, I just did some quick research on the subject. This page on OCF has some good info on the matter. It points out that my idea of Al fins may be incorrect. However, I am not convinced that of two properly designed and machined heatsinks, one all Cu and the other Cu+Al fins, that the Cu one would perform better...

Last edited by S_G; September 27, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting read at that link S_G thanks. My thinking now is that the overall cooling benefits of an all copper HS wins out over Copper/Aluminum because the overall mass of the copper can sap and hold it internally. My train of thought is who cares if it can radiate the heat as long as it gets it away from the CPU.

Anyways this debate looks like it's been going on for a long time now and I've decided not to pursue a career in thermal dynamics anytime soon. Maybe Thermalright will release a "True Silver" variation at a later date and the thermal property discussion can be reinvigorated. *omg did I just make a WoW reference there.. just shoot me
Old October 1, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thermal Management | Power Electronics Technology Article Archives - thermal management, fans, heatpipes, thermal management

I did some reading this website their thermal management section has some interesting articles and it makes for a good read. Its also explores some new applications used in the electrical industry that we just might see used in computer later on in the future.

EE
Old October 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Allstar

Forgive the pun, but that's pretty cool, EE. Going to read some more tomorrow, when I have more time.