Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2008, 10:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Google to buy Valve

I know the Inquirer is always a crazy site for info often biased and always sarcastic however this is interesting. Google is shooting to be the next Microsoft the same way Microsoft got to the top....Buy everything the moves or breaths.

Google to buy Valve - The INQUIRER

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old September 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This dosn't say much more than that, but it does indicate that Valve has said they are open to a buyout. Plus it's in a much more credible source than the Inquirer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...gtgameblog0301
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 18, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Google wants to own the internet. :P

There's lots of good reasons for this rumour to be floating around. No one has yet conquered online game distribution and putting Google at the head of Steam would likely give Steam what it needs to be the iTunes of gaming. Not too mention that Google would also make hard cash from game sales, not just their ad revenues as they do now. I am sure Valve is open to a buyout, who isn't these days? Especially when it comes to game developers. So that's not really solid evidence supporting this rumour. But the concept sure makes sense for Google.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 18, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just waiting for them to start up the "Church of Google of Present Day Internet Addicts"

Soon googleness will be everywhere, in everything and everybody. They're the "Elvis" of the twenty first century.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, I am going to put money on it that Google is working on a PC operating system, or if they arn't already will some day release one. It's not much of a stretch but they are already trying to offload software from the PC and onto the internet. This takeover would fit in line perfectly with that idea. Microsoft's biggest competitor is Google; they are the ones who've taken most of MS's pay-for services and made them free and online accessible. We all know how hard Google is pushing to move everything on a persons computer to an online service.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually i read an article way back when about GoogleOS that is basically a modified ubuntu that they use internally only. An aquaintace of mine that works for google confirmed it, and i don't think it will ever come out.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old September 18, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya the Google OS could happen, and likely would just be a Linux kernal with a Google GUI. I could see Google releasing it, but who would use it? lol

And I am not moving all my computer activity online. Especially if Google owns it all. I have tried those online versions of office, photoshop etc... I think we have a ways to go, and I can't say I am crazy about Google knowing everything I do.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old September 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Valve denies rumors

Valve Denies Google Buyout Rumors - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads
Old September 18, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Actually i read an article way back when about GoogleOS that is basically a modified ubuntu that they use internally only. An aquaintace of mine that works for google confirmed it, and i don't think it will ever come out.
Yeah I'm aware of that one. I was more expecting they would do an entirely different project; of course also open source however.
Old September 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well for now I will file this under the Rumor pile but it certainly wouldn't surprise me...or anyone really.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit