Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Modular vs Hard Wired

So dealing with my case and doing cable management and always being a fan of hard wired power supplies and many people saying that true enthusiasts will always use wired and those worried about looks will use modular got me thinking.

Is there REALLY that much difference in going to modular? I've heard some people say that the voltage drops can sometimes be a bit different than that of a non-modular power supply.

Is this myth or reality?
Old September 5, 2008, 06:02 PM

My System Specs

MYTH. The difference is going to be so small. it will almost be negligible.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I went hard wired and I didn't have a problem with cable management. I don't know if there is any great advantage to a modular PSU.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 5, 2008, 06:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
I went hard wired and I didn't have a problem with cable management. I don't know if there is any great advantage to a modular PSU.

I'll never go back to hard-wired after having used modular models...
But if you have a case that has dead space to stow excess cables, then the hard-wired version may be the better choice, simply for being cheaper.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its not that I don't have dead space. If you saw my latest build you'd see how well I can hide wires.

But at the same time I look at it and go I could do so much more with my case if I did have a modular power supply.
Old September 5, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Modular takes up less space and if you can't hide the cables, can interfere with other components/airflow. Beyond that, I've never seen a reasonable criticism that held water, beyond the possibility of the manufacturer doing a lousy job building the unit.

Considering what other components seem to have no trouble sending hard data across connectors (DIMM's, expansion cards, USB, etc) at speeds measured in MHz or even GHz, straight power probably isn't suffering in that department. Furthermore, the PCP&C myth stating that the connector voltage drop can be equal to 2 feet of wire... well, 2 feet of wire is pretty darn close to "0".

I figure that by the time the nearly negligible voltage drops across the connector actually become a problem to your situation (if ever), you've got a soldering iron out and you're 'fixing' your equipment to keep up with your (marginally insane) goals.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Just look are reviews like the Corsair HX1000 or Enermax Modu+ PSU's. They are obviously doing something right because those PSU's kick Butt. My Ultra is also a great stable PSU.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Just look are reviews like the Corsair HX1000 or Enermax Modu+ PSU's. They are obviously doing something right because those PSU's kick Butt. My Ultra is also a great stable PSU.
Hmmm.

Another debate now.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

What I liked about Modular was I could make my own cables. However, if you don't do that, and some can't,
you really end up with the same mess of cables and connectors hanging off that don't get used, or can't reach the components you want them to and use the extras to get to them connected.
It depends on alot things of course.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

With the older interfaces which had sometimes shoddy solder points between the internal wires and the modualr interface, there was additional resistance which was never the case with hard-wired units.

However, with every quality modular power suppy on the market these days, there is little to no difference due to the fact that the modular interfaces are well designed and accurately soldered.