Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
Rookie

Default Reviews mix-up

Sorry for making another thread on this but i am curious on what SKYMTL thinks of this.
ATM there are three reviews of the latest Zeus 1200W power supply on the net ,one is here at HardwareCanucks , the other one is at Driverheaven and the last one at JonnyGuru (this review is of the non modular version of the Zeus).

Both the HardwareCanucks and DriverHeaven reviews are positive and the JonnyGuru one is not to good.
At Driverheaven the review was made by Grace and he says:
"When we merged the 12V lines however, the performance of the unit improved vastly. The single 12V line was extremely strong and the voltage regulation was much tighter, as well as smoother. It actually felt as if we were testing an entirely different unit.
The 12V lines tend to weaken greatly at high loads, failing to even meet the regulation specifications. As all of the rails are being fed by the same transformer, we believe that their individual regulation circuits are not working very well. Merging the 12V lines into one entirely transforms the performance of the unit, turning it to one of the better 1kW+ units we have ever tested in our labs"

JonnyGuru claims that merging the 12V rails makes no difference in performance but he actually never tested the modular version of this PSU and did not merge the 12v rail to see if it actually makes a difference.
He also told me that i voided my warranty by removing the sticker on the switch , but he obviously is misinformed because Silverstone confirmed that they will fully warranty all first production unit with the "void warranty" sticker if it has been removed.
This is how JonnyGuru replyed to me when i told him i removed the sticker to access the switch : "Haha... You voided your warranty for no reason"
That HaHa makes me wonder if he is 12 years old.
I am no expert on PSU and i am just trying to figure out if my 400$ have been well invested .
Also on the JonnyGuru reviews that zeus best efficiency was 81% with lows of 70% and the driverheaven reviews the Zeus never went under 80% with peeks of 85%.

It seems to me that whenever you post links of other PSU reviews on JonnyGuru site the guy gets offended for some reason.
I honestly think he believes he`s the god of PSU reviewsand only his reviews can be trusted.
I could be wrong but that`s the vibe i pick up

Last edited by maurier; August 9, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old August 10, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

I personally think nobody really needs a power supply over 800w PERIOD.
Old August 10, 2008, 06:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I am not 100% sure if there is a mixup but different methodologies will yield different results. The same goes for different review units yielding different results as well.
Old August 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, it's clearly not same unit is being compared in all cases. The only recent 1200W Zeus PSU that I can see on Jonny's site is the ZU1200, and it's clearly a non-modular unit. Whileas the one reviewed here and on Driverheaven is the ZM1200M, and it's clearly modular in design. It's not unthinkable that a few things were fixed between the two models.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurier View Post
I honestly think he believes he`s the god of PSU reviewsand only his reviews can be trusted.
He's retired - he doesn't write any reviews anymore. I wrote the Zeus review. And I didn't test the modular version, because I didn't have the modular version to test. I do now, but that one won't be for a while yet.

As far as the efficiency goes, you need to compare apples to apples - the modular model is not the non modular model. I reported the efficiency I found, and those are the numbers in the review... there was no cooking of the numbers.

I actually tested in single rail mode with the switch set to multi rail mode. This is because the SM-268 can't load more than two 12V rails. I had to compromise and combine them with a special breakout board. Performance will not change with the position of the OCP switch... all it does is turn on the individual OCP. There is no effect on performance, because by design it cannot affect performance.
Old August 11, 2008, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

PCPOWER&COOLING 1000 or COrsair 1000 and urset
OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
XFX / EVGA 8800GT 512MB SLI
Cooler Master Cosmos
PC POWER & COOLING 750watt
Seagate 1TB
Seagate 500gb
Seagate 250gb
DVD Rom/Burner

LG 22" Wide