Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Dead PSU.. Fix? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/8512-dead-psu-fix.html)

Infiniti July 11, 2008 09:28 AM

Dead PSU.. Fix?

Hey all, when I first built my computer, I had an Antec 800W modular PSU. My brother accidently plugged in a 4 pin molex into the mobo's (680i) auxillary power slot. I didn't have SLI, so I think it screwed up the PCI slots, and now they don't work anymore. My PSU died too. Now, what I thought I did was drop it off in the mailbox to get it RMAed. Turns out I didn't do that.. Its beside me right now.:doh: Since the RMA period is probably up, does anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

enaberif July 11, 2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infiniti (Post 68276)
Hey all, when I first built my computer, I had an Antec 800W modular PSU. My brother accidently plugged in a 4 pin molex into the mobo's (680i) auxillary power slot. I didn't have SLI, so I think it screwed up the PCI slots, and now they don't work anymore. My PSU died too. Now, what I thought I did was drop it off in the mailbox to get it RMAed. Turns out I didn't do that.. Its beside me right now.:doh: Since the RMA period is probably up, does anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

Sorry but plugging that in won't harm anything unless either the PSU or motherboard was faulty already.

Infiniti July 11, 2008 06:02 PM

Really? Oh.. Damnit.. well, I guess I can describe what happens with the PSU.
When I plug it in and all, the mobo light comes up, as in electricity is running through the board, but when I turn on the computer, it turns on for less than a second and dies. Not even the mobo light is on anymore.

enaberif July 11, 2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infiniti (Post 68389)
Really? Oh.. Damnit.. well, I guess I can describe what happens with the PSU.
When I plug it in and all, the mobo light comes up, as in electricity is running through the board, but when I turn on the computer, it turns on for less than a second and dies. Not even the mobo light is on anymore.

Pull everything out of your case and try it that way.

Maybe a short too.

Mibs July 11, 2008 10:53 PM

Yeah it just sounds like something is not making a proper connection. That auxillary molex connector won't do you any harm. Make sure everything is seated properly and try it again.

no_pulse July 12, 2008 01:44 PM

I have the same board, 680i, and I can tell you plugging in the 4pin molex is fine. Its the auxiliary power for graphics cards.

Infiniti July 12, 2008 02:08 PM

Well, I guess the PCI slots were DOA then.. :angry2:
But then I don't get whats happening. When I first got my PSU, it worked when I plugged everything in, but after my brother plugged in the molex into the auxillary power, it just stopped working.

no_pulse July 12, 2008 03:40 PM

Hmmmm... Well he might of had a static charge and shorted out the board. Like others have suggested. Take out all the cards in your system. Then try to boot up. Then put the cards back one at a time and boot up. Try different PCI slots, maybe only one is only fried. Unless of course you've already done that.

I can't see it being the 4pin molex your brother plugged in. In my XFX nForce 680i LT motherboard manual there are instructions to plug in the 4pin molex connector. It says its for the auxiliary power for graphics cards. I'm sure they would mention something in the manual not to plug it in if it may cause a problem.

If you have the same board, it could very well be defective too. Almost 40% of the XFX nForce 680i LT motherboards have been reported DOA or defective. People have had them run fine for a few weeks and the all of a sudden without any warning POOF, it stops working. Just googgle "XFX nForce 680i LT motherboard + problems" and you see what I'm talking about!

Here are a few things I read about on various forums that might help concerning the 680i. Don't know if it will help, but you never know.

-- "After looking back at the motherboard to see if everything is connected, I turn to the manual and check the power button connector only to find out that it is connected to the wrong place. I had it connected to the serial header instead of the 'power supply on' connector. On this motherboard the front panel connectors were not where they were on my old motherboard. They are the different colored connectors by the auxiliary graphics power connector. The yellow connectors at the bottom of the board are serial headers."

-- "went into my bios and changed my ram memory voltage to 2.2 mine was set at 1.9

-- "If you have 2 sticks of memory, each one goes i a white slot, not a white and black slot or two black slots.

Infiniti July 12, 2008 04:03 PM

I know all my PCI slots are dead, but I will be getting a new mobo soon, so no need to worry about that. Its my PSU here that I want some answers for. I tried the PSU on another system, but it still doesn't work, so I know its not anything of my system thats the problem.

MpG July 12, 2008 11:26 PM

What sort of symptoms do you have on another (good) system, when this PSU is hooked up? Any power at all? Do the system fans come on? Beeps? Monitor signal? Other stuff? Is the PSU fan spinning when the board is powered on?