Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2008, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

Default frankensupply

I have this crazy idea of getting two powersupplies and combining them into one - in a common sized case. Some power supplies have lots of interior space, such as :

Ultra V-Series 400W & Ultra V-Series 500W Power Supply Review

Has anyone attempted this before (anyone on the www) ? Seems very possible. I would take out the 120mm fans and add a 80mm fan on the front intake. These things don't really heat up that much anyway, and if you could combine two 700w or 800w, well that would be a half-cheaper alternative to Ultra's 1600w solution.

Take one PCB, flip it over, put it in the case of the other PSU where the 120mm fan was, added a 80mm fan at the back of the PSU where there is still space. Simple?
Old June 21, 2008, 02:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Messing with lines power is dangerous. The caps in there can give you a nasty jolt and the coils can kill you. Not to mention the issues of fire and a voided warranty.

If you absolutely need to pack that much supply in a small case I would suggest you look at server power supplies that you might be able to fit where you need them to be.

P=IV so I=P/V so 1600W/115V = 13.9 amps at full load. That is a whopping mound of current. Normal house circuits are only rated for 15 amps. If you really think you can load a system like that you should also think about where you are going to be able to run it.

Do not hook the two supplies together on any one component. They will not match exactly and they are likely to work against each other and cause problems. A friend of mine ran two PSs in his system for about six months before a floating ground finally toasted his mainboard.

Warning made, it would be pretty easy to do what you are saying. I have rebuilt power supplies but I have never jammed two in one case. The hardest part would be drilling a few new holes for stand offs.

I would suggest you cut holes in the back and use two power cords; do not just piggyback the second supply onto the existing connector.

Play safe.
Old June 21, 2008, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually, putting 2 power supplies together is really no big deal. My current case, the Antec P190 1200, comes factory with 2 power supplies that work very well together.

That being said, using 2 crappy Ultra power supplies together makes no sense. Why use twice the garbage? Get 2 good ones or one really good one. Never use an Ultra PSU. They are all garbage.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Messing with lines power is dangerous. The caps in there can give you a nasty jolt and the coils can kill you. Not to mention the issues of fire and a voided warranty.

If you absolutely need to pack that much supply in a small case I would suggest you look at server power supplies that you might be able to fit where you need them to be.

P=IV so I=P/V so 1600W/115V = 13.9 amps at full load. That is a whopping mound of current. Normal house circuits are only rated for 15 amps. If you really think you can load a system like that you should also think about where you are going to be able to run it.

Do not hook the two supplies together on any one component. They will not match exactly and they are likely to work against each other and cause problems. A friend of mine ran two PSs in his system for about six months before a floating ground finally toasted his mainboard.

Warning made, it would be pretty easy to do what you are saying. I have rebuilt power supplies but I have never jammed two in one case. The hardest part would be drilling a few new holes for stand offs.

I would suggest you cut holes in the back and use two power cords; do not just piggyback the second supply onto the existing connector.

Play safe.
How safe is safe? I'm trying to get away with high wattage for a low price.

Why take two crappy PSUs? Because each crappy PSU is ~25-50 dollars, so with 100$ I could possible have a 1200W psu. The money I save I could spend buying another radiator or better graphics cards etc.
Old June 21, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninio View Post

Why take two crappy PSUs? Because each crappy PSU is ~25-50 dollars, so with 100$ I could possible have a 1200W psu. The money I save I could spend buying another radiator or better graphics cards etc.
I never understood this reasoning, save a few bucks on a crappy PSU only to have it take out all those expensive parts, how much will you save when the PSU's take out your MOBO or ram or gfx or, or , or.......The PSU is the heart of your system and one part you shouldn't skimp on.:rtfm:

Just my $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old June 21, 2008, 11:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninio View Post
If you do not know what you are doing you should not work with lines power and especially with electronics that run on them. You are running the very real risk of burning your house down, mutilating yourself, or getting killed.

But Supergrover and b1lk1 pretty much nail it for me. If you are going to drop $3,000 on the other parts you should not shy away from spending another 3% on a descent power supply.
Old June 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's what you need: http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/Neo-link_flyer.pdf.

Edit: MpG did a worklog of a P190 that, well, didn't turn out quite what he wanted. I don't know if he still has those PSUs; you can always drop him a PM.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ject-p190.html
Old June 22, 2008, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
That's what you need: http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/Neo-link_flyer.pdf.

Edit: MpG did a worklog of a P190 that, well, didn't turn out quite what he wanted. I don't know if he still has those PSUs; you can always drop him a PM.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ject-p190.html
Thanks, I'll have to get in touch with him. How are your waterblock designs progressing by the way?
Old June 22, 2008, 02:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

At a stand still. Working on a tool shed ATM...
Old June 23, 2008, 01:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Never use an Ultra PSU. They are all garbage.
Except the Andyson built X3's, which are not garbage. Quite the contrary.

On the original topic, CWT's PUC designs are really two PSUs on one PCB.