Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default SKYMTL is this Enough Amps for 9600GT

Hi SKYMTL,
I posted this question directly to you since you are the man when it comes to power supplies :help:. I have a Antec NeoPower 550watt that came with my case and I want to know if it will run a 9600GT. It says it has 3 +12V rails 18amps a piece, but it looks like the 9600GT needs more (26 amps I believe) does it really need that much or is the manufacture erring on the side of caution.

There is a review showing them pulling up to 28 amps off the +12V1 rail but I don't know if that would be safe for a long period of time. Here is a link to load tests page of that review Antec NeoPower 550 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

I don't want to change this power supply, but if you think I'll have problems I'll have to rethink my upgrade path, by the way system in my Sig will probably change with the addition of 2 500GB SATA2 drives in raid while keeping my current drive for XP dual boot and a Asus DX sound card (onboard right now).

Thanks and looking forward to hear from you. And if any body else wants to chime in, go for it.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TopDogZero I can assure you and I believe Skymtl will attest to my comments here in saying that a Antec Neopower 550watt is more then sufficient for a 9600GT. I personally have the powersupply stated and I am currently running 2 x 8800GT videocards that are overclocked to their max potential and my system runs just fine.
Old June 19, 2008, 04:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

More than enough IMO.
Old June 19, 2008, 05:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thank you both for your replies, I was getting worried there for a sec seeing the specs. But having you both giving the and hearing this thing can run two 8800GT OC is just icing on the cake.