Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2018, 03:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I'd add a vote for Seasonic. Their Prime series is top of the line, although also a little pricey. They also have a line called Focus Plus that's still pretty darn good according to JonnyGuru reviews, and much more affordable.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:52 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
I'd add a vote for Seasonic. Their Prime series is top of the line, although also a little pricey. They also have a line called Focus Plus that's still pretty darn good according to JonnyGuru reviews, and much more affordable.
Seasonic Prime series are no longer the only ones that are top of the line. Compared to the Evga Superflower Leadex II G3 series the only advantage the prime series currently has is:

1. 2 years longer warranty
2. Better efficiency

However the G3 uses 16 awg vs the Prime series 18 awg and is more compact while offering almost a similar warranty as the Prime series. The G3 only loses out in terms of efficiency (for example Gold vs Platinum etc) but in real world usage and scenarios that efficiency differences doesn't make a noticeable difference. Jonnyguru also highly dislikes the Seasonic Prime 1200 18awg enough to not recommend it for more than dual gpu.

Seasonic Prime Platinum 1200W Review
Old January 13, 2018, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

16AWG is better than 18AWG and at a 10 year warranty, I don't think 12 years makes a difference. I highly doubt anyone will be using or trust a PSU that's at the end of a 10 year warranty.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:26 PM
MVP

I would say that Sea Sonic is pretty confident in their component choices if they are offering a twelve year warranty.
Old January 13, 2018, 05:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been planning a new build as well and after doing a ton of research and reading on PSUs I also decided on the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium or EVGA G3. The G3 is smaller, cheaper, and seems to score as well or better than the Seasonic in most reviews regarding voltage regulation and ripple. Downside is that it uses inline capacitors and the stock cables are ugly AF (if you were even going to use them).

Just realizing that I'm still rocking a Zalman 850-HP from ~2007. Has been good for OC in the last few systems and is still dead quiet. Not that I'm advocating for anyone to buy a Zalman PSU haha.
Old January 15, 2018, 02:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
16AWG is better than 18AWG and at a 10 year warranty, I don't think 12 years makes a difference. I highly doubt anyone will be using or trust a PSU that's at the end of a 10 year warranty.
I didn't write that 18awg is superior or better than 16awg. Only Seasonic does 18awg throughout whereas others do 16awg to the first pci express connector then 18awg on the daisy chain.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. From what I can read, Seasonic's Focus Plus line is pretty much in direct competition against EVGA's G3 line of power supplies. In terms of performance they are pretty much equivalents, although pricing at the moment favors Seasonic.
Old January 18, 2018, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd trust 18AWG in the EVGA over the use of 16AWG in the Seasonic's...especially if you're going to be overclocking and pulling some hard amperage.
Old January 18, 2018, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I didn't write that 18awg is superior or better than 16awg. Only Seasonic does 18awg throughout whereas others do 16awg to the first pci express connector then 18awg on the daisy chain.
I know you didn't DK...that wasn't an attack. I was commented that 18AWG is better wiring than 16AWG. this is important when there is major amperage being pulled. it would also explain why the EVGA may cost a bit more than the Seasonic.

I've had recent experience where I went through 3 fridges in my apartment during the 4 years I was there. they were replaced while I was at work, so never saw the installs until the third one. the plug-in was badly installed, so they used an extension cord...a skinny one. and to make matters worse, they extension didn't have a ground plug, so they cut the ground off the fridge plug to fit it in. my poor fridges starved for power and that eventually killed the compressors. fortunately new building management was hired for the third fridges install, so they had an electrician come in and fix the problem so everything was up to code.
Old January 18, 2018, 10:20 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly View Post
I know you didn't DK...that wasn't an attack. I was commented that 18AWG is better wiring than 16AWG. this is important when there is major amperage being pulled. it would also explain why the EVGA may cost a bit more than the Seasonic.

I've had recent experience where I went through 3 fridges in my apartment during the 4 years I was there. they were replaced while I was at work, so never saw the installs until the third one. the plug-in was badly installed, so they used an extension cord...a skinny one. and to make matters worse, they extension didn't have a ground plug, so they cut the ground off the fridge plug to fit it in. my poor fridges starved for power and that eventually killed the compressors. fortunately new building management was hired for the third fridges install, so they had an electrician come in and fix the problem so everything was up to code.
No problem looks like there was misinterpretation/miscommunication. It's really strange because Seasonic unlike Superflower, CWT, Flextronics, and most other manufacturers continues to use 18awg. They've been doing this for many years now and considering they do their psu's in house ot doesn't make sense. Sure Seasonic offers 12 years but even with an advanced replacement/exchange there is going to be downtime. I think Seasonic was trying to cut corners or cost or force consumers to use non-daisy chain configurations for multiple graphics cards. The downside is that Seasonics limited pcie connection amount means that you can only run SLI or Crossfire with 2 cards only. Not exactly an ideal solution or workaround especially for their high-end Prime series. Not to mention that the other manufacturers do 16awg for a reason even on daisy chained pcie.

In my opinion compared to the Prime series the best price/performance psus are the G3 or the Corsair RMi/x series which are Superflower and CWT gold platforms. AXi is also generally good but Corsair has been known to allow different capacitors (including Taicon etc) in their Flextronics psus versus CWT RMi/RMx which are 100% Japanese (typically Rubicon/Nichicon).