Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2014, 03:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default PSU failing?

Recently I have been getting blackscreens in some games, I will simply be playing a game and the screen will go black and I can hear audio from the last few seconds but nothing else, I also cannot alt f4 or escape in any way other then resetting my computer.

This doesn't seem to happen while just browsing the web or playing light games which leads me to believe it is something wrong with the computer drawing enough power to cause this problem. I just reformatted and reinstalled w7 to see if that could be the solution but I just played payday 2 a while ago and it happened.

Probably going to start up an RMA in any case if my PSU is still within the warranty period (silverstone strider 1200w).

The only results on google for a computer blackscreening are mostly just people to say someones temps are to high (mine are not, GPU has aftermarket fan and CPU is watercooled) or to update game/drivers.
Old July 20, 2014, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try give the cooler on the GPU a good clean as well, doesn't hurt any just in case. Are you monitoring the temps or are you just saing It's got a good cooler so couldn't be too hot?
Are all the fans spinning on it? get something like CPUID HWMonitor and check.

I wouldn't start an RMA process as you'll have to pay shipping each way and a fee if there is no fault found... Identify whats the problem first... put your psu in another(similar or better if possible) rig and see if it does the same thing.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 20, 2014, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Temps are around 40-50c on the CPU and around the same on the GPU, all the fans are indeed spinning. Usually running something to check temps on second monitor but when this happens my screen goes black so I cannot check.

Edit : Just reformatted and reinstalled W7 to no avail. Switched out the GPU cable to another slot on the PSU which seemed to help since I was able to game for a few hours before it actually crashed. Just going to order a new PSU for now I think and if the problem persists look at other options.

Last edited by [nK]Sharp; July 21, 2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old July 21, 2014, 04:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

that sounds like driver issue straight up, if your overclocking the gpu, reset to factory speeds, as at least for me when it did lock up/black screen most time was core speed/voltage to high, when did crazy lines usually multi-colored tended to be memory speed (gpu wise of course) cpu tends to total lock or BSOD