Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2008, 11:08 AM
Rookie

Default Enermax Liberty 620watts+8800GTS

Hi!

I just built a new computer, and the last piece to get is the PSU. Right now i'm still using the Enermax EG465PVE 460watts from my other computer. all rails are rated @ 35amps and +12v @ 33amps. With my current configuration, i think 460 watts is very borderline, so i went and bought an Enermax ELT620AWT from an etailer.

I should have read more about new PSUs because i didn't really realize that there were 2x 'separate' +12v @ 22amps, i originally tought that they added up and meant 44amps total!

Am i screwed? On my graphic card box it's stated that it needs a minimum of 26 amps. Looking at other PSU brands/models i really can't find any in the 150$ range that has a +12v rating of 20amps or more! I'd have to pay 250-300$ to get over 22amps? I paid 100$ for the 460 watts i got right now and it's amperage seems a LOT better than on the present offering at even 50$ more.

I also was kinda considering the CoolerMaster Real Power 650 watts but it seems rather cheaply made and it has 'only' 3x +12v rails @ 19 amps each wich i'm gessing is even worse

any help in sorting this out would be really appreciated!!!

btw: i'm not planning on an SLI setup anytime soon, but i'd like to be able to upgrade the gfx card in the near future.

heres my current setup:
Enermax EG465PVE 460 watts
eVGA 750i SLI FTW
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb @ stock
2x 1024 OCZ Gold memory @ stock (666mhz)
Core2Duo E8400 @ stock (3.0ghz)
2x WD 80gb SATA II HDs
2x Optical Drives
4x total fans controlled by nexus

Last edited by atari1980; May 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 4, 2008, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Look for a PSU that has a single +12V rail like the PC Power and Cooling 750 Quad. Puts out up to 60A.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I have that exact power supply and it has been powering my 8800GTS for several months now with no problems.
Old May 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That Enermax Liberty will be fine.
Old May 4, 2008, 03:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This sparked my interest so I did some research on it. The BFG "8800 GTS OC 640MB PCIe Extreme Edition" notes this in the specs:

Quote:
425W ATX 2.2 or greater system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor)
but it is clearly talking about whole system rating, not just the video card. Considering most of the wattage that goes into a piece of electronics is eventually dissipated as heat that would be like having a 350+ watt light bulb in your case. There is no way my computer if throwing off that kind of heat.

This page on PlayTool.com states the GTS really consumes about 105 watts peak. If it got that from the 12v supply it would be about 10 amps of current which the Enermax 620 is more than capable of supplying even if you heavily pad the numbers for line drop and inefficiency and toss a couple hard drives onto the same rail.

PlayTool.com also has a good page about why multiple rails are almost always just a marketing lie. I have no idea how this PS is constructed and I am not about to void the warranty, take it apart, and reverse engineer it. If you want to make an uber system I looks like getting a power supply with one 12V rail is "the best decision" but they are not thick on the ground. However, one GTS does not an uber system make.

As with just about everything on that thar intarweeb these articles are not dated. The Copyright is 2006 and the articles linked are from 2006 or earlier. Things may have changed recently but I doubt it. While I do have quite a bit of basic electronics training I am not an Electrical Engineer. That said, most of this stuff rings true to me. Enermax says the power supply has two rails but does not say what hangs off those two rails. Is it mainboard on one an everything else on the other? or video on one? or top row of plugs on one and bottom row on the other with the mainboard? who knows?

The Enermax Liberty line is "Nvidia® SLI™ certified" but it is in the section "For all other SLI PC configurations" not the "For Dual GeForce 8800 GTS..." section. If you ever do decide to go for SLI (which will be real appealing in 18 months when your card is on sale for $75) then I would consider getting a better power supply.

Frankly this kind of disappoints me as I am a long time Enermax fan. But business is business.
Old May 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Look for a PSU that has a single +12V rail like the PC Power and Cooling 750 Quad. Puts out up to 60A.
Yea but it's 200$ plus shipping plus taxes, 150$ is the max i can pay right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I have that exact power supply and it has been powering my 8800GTS for several months now with no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
That Enermax Liberty will be fine.
Now that's good news then!! Is it stable on all rails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
This sparked my interest so I did some research on it. The BFG "8800 GTS OC 640MB PCIe Extreme Edition" notes this in the specs:

but it is clearly talking about whole system rating, not just the video card. Considering most of the wattage that goes into a piece of electronics is eventually dissipated as heat that would be like having a 350+ watt light bulb in your case. There is no way my computer if throwing off that kind of heat.

This page on PlayTool.com states the GTS really consumes about 105 watts peak. If it got that from the 12v supply it would be about 10 amps of current which the Enermax 620 is more than capable of supplying even if you heavily pad the numbers for line drop and inefficiency and toss a couple hard drives onto the same rail.

PlayTool.com also has a good page about why multiple rails are almost always just a marketing lie. I have no idea how this PS is constructed and I am not about to void the warranty, take it apart, and reverse engineer it. If you want to make an uber system I looks like getting a power supply with one 12V rail is "the best decision" but they are not thick on the ground. However, one GTS does not an uber system make.

As with just about everything on that thar intarweeb these articles are not dated. The Copyright is 2006 and the articles linked are from 2006 or earlier. Things may have changed recently but I doubt it. While I do have quite a bit of basic electronics training I am not an Electrical Engineer. That said, most of this stuff rings true to me. Enermax says the power supply has two rails but does not say what hangs off those two rails. Is it mainboard on one an everything else on the other? or video on one? or top row of plugs on one and bottom row on the other with the mainboard? who knows?

The Enermax Liberty line is "Nvidia® SLI™ certified" but it is in the section "For all other SLI PC configurations" not the "For Dual GeForce 8800 GTS..." section. If you ever do decide to go for SLI (which will be real appealing in 18 months when your card is on sale for $75) then I would consider getting a better power supply.

Frankly this kind of disappoints me as I am a long time Enermax fan. But business is business.
I'm reading the playtool.com page now, good read. thanks for the link! I'll stick with the enermax for now then, it's a shame no PSU companies publish the real numbers.
Old May 5, 2008, 09:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari1980 View Post
Yea but it's 200$ plus shipping plus taxes, 150$ is the max i can pay right now.
Nope. $135++ at NCIX. But it sounds like your Liberty will do the trick. Good luck.

Link for PCP&C 750 price:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...g&promoid=1001
Old May 5, 2008, 12:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Now that's good news then!! Is it stable on all rails?
Should be. The GPU is probably on a separate rail than the CPU, and the GPU ratings are for the entire system/power supply, not the card itself.

I have 4x12V rails on my OCZ GameXSteam 600W, each rated at 18A I believe. The main downfall to having split rails is that it's difficult to utilize each rail fully, and if one becomes overloaded, you can't do anything about it.

If you already have the Liberty, hook it up and see if it works. It should. If you haven't bought it though, then grab the PC Power & Cooling linked above.
Old May 5, 2008, 02:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Nope. $135++ at NCIX. But it sounds like your Liberty will do the trick. Good luck.

Link for PCP&C 750 price:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...g&promoid=1001
awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Should be. The GPU is probably on a separate rail than the CPU, and the GPU ratings are for the entire system/power supply, not the card itself.

I have 4x12V rails on my OCZ GameXSteam 600W, each rated at 18A I believe. The main downfall to having split rails is that it's difficult to utilize each rail fully, and if one becomes overloaded, you can't do anything about it.

If you already have the Liberty, hook it up and see if it works. It should. If you haven't bought it though, then grab the PC Power & Cooling linked above.
Well i pulled the trigger on the OCZ GameXstream 700w (last night, before i could read your posts) i finally understood the whole amps/rails thing. And it's the best seller at this price point on newegg (and also there are very little negative comments)++it's SLI certified with 2x8800 GTS! I read on newegg that 90+ on 200 people had their liberty 620 literally exploding in their case, killing all their components & ups. So i cancelled my order before they ship it today. Paid 150$ total at sohodiffusion.com. can't wait to install it!!!
Old May 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well i pulled the trigger on the OCZ GameXstream 700w (last night, before i could read your posts) i finally understood the whole amps/rails thing. And it's the best seller at this price point on newegg (and also there are very little negative comments)++it's SLI certified with 2x8800 GTS! I read on newegg that 90+ on 200 people had their liberty 620 literally exploding in their case, killing all their components & ups. So i cancelled my order before they ship it today. Paid 150$ total at sohodiffusion.com. can't wait to install it!!!
Should be perfect then since my 600W is powering a X3350 (Q9450) Quad-Core and the same video card as you.