Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2014, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Corsair RM Series?

Any thoughts on the Corsair RM Silent series PSU's? They seem to have snuck in to the market quietly and have an odd mix of reviews. One review I read actually had nothing but good things to say about it, but still gave it a mediocre rating? So strange...

One thing I really like about these PSU's is that the cabling (espescially the 24 pin) is flat/ribbon style. That helps a lot when routing cables in cases with limited room against the back panel.
Old April 23, 2014, 01:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Seems to me that Corsair is changing slowly to Chinese caps in certain instances.

Here is their official answer...

Power Supply Capacitor Q and A

Not sure if it is BS or not, but I err on the side of caution. I have had a PSU take out the majority of a PC and for that reason alone I always shoot way higher on rating and quality than what is needed on a machine. From my one bad experience I went high end and have never had an issue since. Seems to have pissed off allot of Corsair fans on other forums. I have many HX and AX PSU's and have remained very happy with Corsair. Although, I should be for the price...
Old April 23, 2014, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So, Corsair is saying because their PSU's are better at controlling ripple they don't need to bother with high quality caps? Nice.
Old April 23, 2014, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are saying modern PSU design lessens the load on filtering capacitors.

They're also saying the Chinese caps are still high quality, it's just the stigma of it being Chinese that prevents people from thinking it is of equal quality.
They are going to regret this if their revenues start dropping, all for saving maybe a few dollars per PSU.

Sooner or later though, one company HAD to send out the memo.

On a related note, people still associate current generation Hitachi drives with the old IBM "DeathStars" even though the new Hitachis are probably one of the most reliable consumer drives today.

Hats off to Corsair.
Old April 23, 2014, 02:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am just wondering if this has to do with the overall suffering from the '08 collapse. In all reality any company that is traded is at the mercy of a good quarterly result. Easy ways to maintain this is cost shaving. Whether or not there is any negative long term effects is to be seen.

In their memory line-up they always had nice heat spreaders. Now they are just plain hideous unless you splurge even more for Dom or Dom Platinums. Perhaps this is similar to the caps in the PSUs?
Old April 23, 2014, 03:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Its really a mixed bag looking at it. While the topology doesn't put the load on the capicators as it normally would, and most of the time the lower tier is on the secondary side....I still get a weird feeling having in some cases tier4 capacitors in there.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 23, 2014, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RM line isn't targeting the high end xtreme crowd so for them to skimp a bit on the budget line is perfectly reasonable IMO. I have no hesitation to recommend that series for a budget build.

Personally I'll stick with the top of the line. Really liking the superflower platform that EVGA is offering, even though there are caps in the PCI-e cables - something I haven't seen Seasonic do (my preferred brand).
Old April 24, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm still personally a fan of the AX series PSU's for higher end builds, but the RM's seem to hold a certain value of their own. But with all the question marks surrounding a product that exists at a price point that's already over-saturated with options, it's tough to justify beyond anything but pure brand loyalty.

Honestly though, I miss my Antec Quattro 850. I still regret selling it.
Old April 24, 2014, 10:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Truth be told, I could come back and say "woe on Corsair!" for this but their choices are backed up by facts. If you look at the typical BOM of a so-called "Japanese" capacitor, you'll likely see predominantly Chinese sourced elements, if not outright manufacturing outside Japan. Let's take Panasonic and by extension Nippon Chemi-Con as good examples of this. Fully 90% of their branded caps come from outside Japan...so what makes them Japanese capacitors? Well, their design and specification process was done in Japan and that's about it but they're still allowed to put the MiJ logo on it.

There's a stigma towards Chinese-made components due to issues from a decade ago. What you have to remember is that China's non-domestic focused manufacturing sector has (by and large) moved ahead by leaps and bounds.

The latest surrogates of the "poor QA" mantra no longer include China due to their rapid move out of 2nd world status. The SECOND you see Made in India, Made in Pakistan, Made in Bangladesh or Made in Sri Lanka on components, run for the hills. Those are the new China while China itself has moved on.
Old April 24, 2014, 11:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Definitely good points Sky. My biggest concerns surrounding the RM series is that the first versions of these PSU's were recalled due to fan issues and coil wine. That's what had me digging in to the details of the builds in the first place.