Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2013, 06:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Hey Trodas. - The power supply capacitor Q & A

Thought you might find this interesting.

Blog - The power supply capacitor Q &A
Old December 30, 2013, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm sorry Corsair, I don't care about how you use cheap Chinese shit that breaks and sell it to us like there is a good reason for it other than Corsair saving a few dollars.

The story is always the same. Monitor dies 1 year in, replace blown Chinese caps with Japanese caps, lasts years afterwards. Why is that?

The price difference is not that much, so I can't think of a good reason to buy the Chinese stuff especially when you're buying in bulk.

And sure, use one Japanese manufacturers mistake of ONE line of caps (United ChemiCon) and use that for your Chinese excuse where all of them blow.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'm sorry Corsair, I don't care about how you use cheap Chinese shit that breaks and sell it to us like there is a good reason for it other than Corsair saving a few dollars.

The story is always the same. Monitor dies 1 year in, replace blown Chinese caps with Japanese caps, lasts years afterwards. Why is that?

The price difference is not that much, so I can't think of a good reason to buy the Chinese stuff especially when you're buying in bulk.

And sure, use one Japanese manufacturers mistake of ONE line of caps (United ChemiCon) and use that for your Chinese excuse where all of them blow.
So long as they are not on the Primary side I am not nearly as concerned as I was before. To be honest.
When they start selling me PSU's that are using Chinese on the Primary then I will be concerned.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 30, 2013, 07:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Didn't realize that Jon Gerow worked for Corsair now.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 30, 2013, 07:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Didn't realize that Jon Gerow worked for Corsair now.
Yeah he has for a while. Did a stint at Ultra (only reason the LSP and X3 units were any good). Then BFG but they went under, and now he is at Corsair. He's fixing somethings but Corsair is slipping in some catagories now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 30, 2013, 08:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Yeah he has for a while. Did a stint at Ultra (only reason the LSP and X3 units were any good). Then BFG but they went under, and now he is at Corsair. He's fixing somethings but Corsair is slipping in some catagories now.

-ST
Yes, BFG was the place I heard of him last.

I try to be open-minded about companies etc. turning around their quality-control. I am driving a Hyundai and a Kia right now and 6-7 years ago I would not have dreamed it it.

That said, kinda worries me that Jon G would write an article about Chinese caps. While I am sure that a reputable company could get a quality component out of China, I feel that I would still prefer to give my money to a quality PSU manuf that advertised Japanese caps instead.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 30, 2013, 08:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Yes, BFG was the place I heard of him last.

I try to be open-minded about companies etc. turning around their quality-control. I am driving a Hyundai and a Kia right now and 6-7 years ago I would not have dreamed it it.

That said, kinda worries me that Jon G would write an article about Chinese caps. While I am sure that a reputable company could get a quality component out of China, I feel that I would still prefer to give my money to a quality PSU manuf that advertised Japanese caps instead.
I agree, and have done some research myself.
Yes, to a degree Chinese caps have gotten a lot better since the fiasco's they gained their reputation with, and while I would prefer to get the most Jap cap's I can, most big OEM's are moving a lot or some of their secondary side or modular board side to Chinese components.

So, its hard to avoid these days if you look at all the dismantling that is done and the internals inside.

That being said I have to think that Corsair at least did some research when they are backing units with good warranties.

-ST

Old December 30, 2013, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well an extra year of warranty for chinese caps would make me have a bit more trust in their system.

put their warranty where there mouth is
Old December 31, 2013, 03:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. I would also like to hear Trodas opinion on it all. Hopefully warrantees stay good or improve.
Old December 31, 2013, 03:56 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

In my experience you have to keep a close eye on any Chinese contract manufacturer or part supplier(this goes for Taiwan too). If you don't they substitute in crap parts, that's why we do most of our contract manufacturing in North America, they will not deviate from an approved vendors list. We may pay a little more, but we've got product that has been working out in the environment for 20 plus years all over the world.