Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2013, 04:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Would my Power Supply cut it if I buy another GPU?

Hey guys;

I'm thinking about getting myself another graphics card to join together with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti (EVGA) with the money that I'll probably get over Christmas.

My Power Supply is a Thermaltake TR2 500W that I bought at my local computer, and I was wondering if I would need to buy another Power Supply or booster if I decide to do so. For Example, If I get a Geforce GTX 760 and join it with my Geforce GTX 660 Ti via SLI, should I be able to do it?

Thank you.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would not sli graphics cards on that power supply. I think you are doing very well to have it powering a single 660 ti. Thermaltake are generally not good for power supplies. Also, you can't mix different generations of cards with nvidia. Pretty much has to be the same card to get them to work together.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:54 PM
Rookie

I would not do it. 500 watts is enough for one, but you will be cutting it or not making it at all with 2 card.
As far as I know, to sli the cards, they have to be the same....

And power supplies are cheaper than ever. Just drop 100 on a 750w and you should be fine.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Random question: If I decide to get another GPU that is a Geforce GTX 660 Ti, does it have to be made by the exact same manufacturer? Can I mix RAM models together? For example, one has 3 GB of video RAM, and the other has 2 GB of video RAM. What power supply would be recommended?

Thank you.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can mix cards if they're the same card and if they have the same VRAM, it will not work with a 2GB and 3GB card.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
You can mix cards if they're the same card and if they have the same VRAM, it will not work with a 2GB and 3GB card.
So would I be able to mix a EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Ti with an Asus Geforce GTX 660 Ti for example? Unless they have the same GPU and same VRAM they will work together? Just asking. (I plan to get the same one again to mix together)
Old December 3, 2013, 10:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Mate, you can mix brands, but probably better if you don't have to. I wish you luck in finding a 660 ti right now.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLiam View Post
Random question: If I decide to get another GPU that is a Geforce GTX 660 Ti, does it have to be made by the exact same manufacturer? Can I mix RAM models together? For example, one has 3 GB of video RAM, and the other has 2 GB of video RAM. What power supply would be recommended?

Thank you.
A solid 650W unit would suffice. Corsair has a few different ones in that range as well as Silverstone and Antec.
Don't cheap out on an 'off-brand' PSU or lesser quality one since they are the life support of your computer.

Something like this, would be good:

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan 5 Year Warranty

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 4, 2013, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLiam View Post
Hey guys;

I'm thinking about getting myself another graphics card to join together with my Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti (EVGA) with the money that I'll probably get over Christmas.

My Power Supply is a Thermaltake TR2 500W that I bought at my local computer, and I was wondering if I would need to buy another Power Supply or booster if I decide to do so. For Example, If I get a Geforce GTX 760 and join it with my Geforce GTX 660 Ti via SLI, should I be able to do it?

Thank you.
That powersupply is utter junk and I'd rather use it for a doorstop than in my system.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

DC OUTPUT: +3.3V, +5V, +12V1, +12V2, -12V, +5Vsb
@
Max Output Current: 22A, 18A, 18A, 17A, 0.3A , 2.5A

500W

Correct not a SLi PSU to run both

SuperLiam look for 50 amps on the 12v rail to run SLi

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 4, 2013 at 08:34 AM.