Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 2 dead XFX PSU's

The strangest thing happened to me today. When i my parents were away and i eventually woke up, i walked over to my PC to turn it on as i always do, but when i pressed the button nothing happened. I made sure everything was plugged in, but i then noticed that the monitors weren't getting power either. So i checked the fuse box, and sure enough the fuse was blown. I tried replacing it, but the next one popped right as i inserted it. So i disconnected everything in my room, and replaced the fuse again.
I then proceeded to open the machine up, and hook up my old chieftec 750w PSU externally. It then fired right up.
This is the second "XFX 850 XXX" to fail me in less than one year. Luckily though, nothing else seems to be damaged. I'm pretty sure i'm going with Corsair this time, as i don't want to risk having the PSU fry my machine. Again...
Old October 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have the same PSU and am concerned after reading your post. I have owned this unit for over a year now and I'm hopefull it will keep running strong.
Old October 11, 2013, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I have the same PSU and am concerned after reading your post. I have owned this unit for over a year now and I'm hopefull it will keep running strong.
I doubt it should be a problem for you. From what i've heard they're basically rebranded Seasonic PSU's, which are supposed to be some of the best around. I do however find it very strange that two have died in my rig now.
Old October 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Input Voltage90 - 264 V mite be your AC~ line, got a voltmeter to moniter the line level or use a UPS with AVR
Old October 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly as much as he is the crazy one on our Forums, Kapt might be right on this one.

Bad line voltage (really bad) could be a good reason for the dead PSU's. The breaker being tripped is another good sign that there is an electrical problem somewhere in the circuit.
XFX units are some of the best (being Seasonic Rebrands) , to have two units go out like that would have me searching for answers elsewhere.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

It would be VERY interesting to see what happend INSIDE of the PSU. Is the cap(s) are blown?
Is the input rectifier are blown?
Any visual impariment?

If these are rebranded Seasonics, then a little investigation should be in order. If the voltage is the culprit, then you won't be good with anything except surge protection...

Sorry for bad news.
Old October 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenskipper View Post
The strangest thing happened to me today. When i my parents were away and i eventually woke up, i walked over to my PC to turn it on as i always do, but when i pressed the button nothing happened. I made sure everything was plugged in, but i then noticed that the monitors weren't getting power either. So i checked the fuse box, and sure enough the fuse was blown. I tried replacing it, but the next one popped right as i inserted it. So i disconnected everything in my room, and replaced the fuse again.
I then proceeded to open the machine up, and hook up my old chieftec 750w PSU externally. It then fired right up.
This is the second "XFX 850 XXX" to fail me in less than one year. Luckily though, nothing else seems to be damaged. I'm pretty sure i'm going with Corsair this time, as i don't want to risk having the PSU fry my machine. Again...
If two PSU's died on you and all of your other parts are okay that means it is a brand worth buying again. When bad PSU's die your system goes with it, when good PSU's die you are either unlucky or you have a different problem.
Old October 13, 2013, 01:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have to agree with the others on the voltage line. I still use my XFX 750w black edition PSU since 2010 and I had no problems with it what so ever... There's even a screw that I dropped in the PSU by accident and it still works fine.
Old October 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
If two PSU's died on you and all of your other parts are okay that means it is a brand worth buying again. When bad PSU's die your system goes with it, when good PSU's die you are either unlucky or you have a different problem.
Absolutely. Except the fact that when my first PSU died, it fried my MOBO as well... :/
Old October 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you are plugging your computer directly into the wall or with a shitty cheap power bar it may be something you might wanna reconsider.
APC® Back-UPS 650VA something like this may work for you.

Like everyone else has said here... you blew a fuse and then blew it again so obviously the wiring in the house is faulty. I would definitely be hiring an Electrician to check things out or you may have a house burnt to the ground one day. Sometimes other trades put screws through wiring without knowing it. Maybe your parents did some renovating recently?

The power supply is NOT the issue.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Tags
blown fuse , dead , failed component , xfx power supply