Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2013, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I'll be near a CDN Tire today, will stop by and pick up one of these. Then I'll know.

Thanks for the education on PSU Calculators - it is confusing for the less informed to understand. IF and when I upgrade to a second HD7970 I'll be sure to get at least an 850w with plenty of amps per rail. I see that the larger wattage units tend to have more than one rail.
Don't assume you need a bigger PSU because you upgrade your video card. Ask for honest opinions. PSU calculators are a good way for manufacturers to sell their gear because people get "scared" and want to pay money for something they don't need.

Last edited by enaberif; October 2, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I do have a pair of HD6670's in a box but maybe I should try selling them
If you do sell 'em, let me know. I may be interested in buying one, if the price is right.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 2, 2013, 04:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I bought one of those Hampton Energy Monitor gizmo's and plugged it in.

Ran 3D Mark11 benchmark and played a little Shift2 to see what kind of watts it draws. Range from about 170 to 320w. Actually only saw it over 300 during one of the tests, typically it was in the 250-270 range during testing and the video game (game was actually a little lower in the 220 range.

I also checked the amps and it got up to 2.x (never saw a three) right now its settled in at 1.60 a . My 620m PSU is rated to 25 amp, is that measuring the same thing?

SO - looks like my Antec 620m is way more than I need right now - by almost twice the power draw.

I'll have to connect this gizmo downstairs and see what the old system is drawing on the 300 Happy PSu.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 2, 2013, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Selling

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
If you do sell 'em, let me know. I may be interested in buying one, if the price is right.
Hmmm, let me think on that, I'll get back to you. Just one? The 2GB without displayport or the 1GB with dp?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 2, 2013, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

Ran 3D Mark11 benchmark and played a little Shift2 to see what kind of watts it draws. Range from about 170 to 320w. Actually only saw it over 300 during one of the tests, typically it was in the 250-270 range during testing and the video game (game was actually a little lower in the 220 range.

I also checked the amps and it got up to 2.x (never saw a three) right now its settled in at 1.60 a . My 620m PSU is rated to 25 amp, is that measuring the same thing?

SO - looks like my Antec 620m is way more than I need right now - by almost twice the power draw.

I'll have to connect this gizmo downstairs and see what the old system is drawing on the 300 Happy PSu.
I would say on average people are probably over shooting by 70-80% on their power supplies because they "think" they need bigger.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

The amps your looking at do not directly link to what the PSU is rated at on a rail. You should focus on watts when you look at the power meter and what the power supply is rated at.

Modern computers pull most of their power from the 12volt rail. Amps are important when buying a power supply because a 500w power supply can produce 500w of DC power (assuming they are all of the same quality...which they aren't). Some might have a 12v rail that only supports 240w (that would be 20amps), and another may support 360w on the 12v rail (36 amps)...and the rest of the 500watt rating would come from say a 5volt rail...so generally speaking the second option would be better for a modern computer with a higher rating for 12v.

In electricity watts = amps x volts. What you read on the power meter for amps is based on the electricity from the wall (approx 110-120volts)...higher voltage means lower amps to produce the same power....so 2 amps from the wall at 120 volts is 240watts...if all that 240watts was coming from a 12v rail it would be drawing 24amps. I won't even go into inefficiencies in PSU. Hopefully not over your head, but suffice to say only bother with wattage on the power meter.

You can think of it kind of like water. If you have a hose and a bucket, voltage and amperage would be water pressure (in this case pressure is fixed at 12v/5v/120v) and water flow rate (the max is always available, but you turn it on and off with the handle...or for a power supply when it demands it), which means watts is the total quantity of "water" that made it out of the hose and into the bucket.