Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2013, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Default PSU Dead - Not sure the cause?

Hey, so short story. Met up with a guy from another forum to trade my Corsair HX1050. The PSU was purchased back in January this year and sat in a box for about 4 months since I didn't end up following through on a second system. Had maybe 2 weeks worth of usage and it ran perfectly fine.

Handed it over yesterday to this guy and he messaged me today to tell me that the psu is dead and he's not even getting a reading off the 24pin.

Only thing I really know about the guy is that he mentioned wanting to quad sli or tri sli 770s with the psu. Now I suppose somehow the PSU just decided to die, weird things happen, but I just want to cover my bases and see if anything he might have done could have killed it.

It's not the end of the world since its relatively new I'm sure I can RMA it, but will have to check the serials I suppose to make sure :), guy was a no feedback person on the forum so you never know these days!
Old August 14, 2013, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

GTX 770 4 way SLI could've easily overloaded the unit, 3 way might have, depending on the CPU and OC.

Just because it's a fairly good CWT unit doesn't mean running it way out of spec won't kill it.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:29 AM
Rookie

So its feasible that the guy killed the PSU doing what he was doing?

Would there be any obvious signs from something like that or is it just internals?

I'm not entirely sure why just get an odd feeling off this situation. More so cause he was going on about using quad sli then going tri sli (one of the cards he borrowed) then all of the sudden the next day "your psu's dead" and he was selling all those video cards.
Old August 15, 2013, 08:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Almost sounds like more than just the psu suffered some damage. If your sure it was working when it left your hands then offer to help with rma but retain the money collected until a verdict is given as whether replacement is approved.
Meet-up sales really get me nervous. Good luck but I'm afraid to say someone is going to leave this sale with a bad aftertaste.
Old August 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Almost sounds like more than just the psu suffered some damage. If your sure it was working when it left your hands then offer to help with rma but retain the money collected until a verdict is given as whether replacement is approved.
Meet-up sales really get me nervous. Good luck but I'm afraid to say someone is going to leave this sale with a bad aftertaste.
That's the impression I'm getting, and why I have an off feeling about this I think.

I was using the PSU about a month ago, but its been sitting in a box since. At the time I didn't really think to test it, serves me right Y_Y
Old August 15, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ask him to initiate the RMA process and you can offer to help with the shipping cost to corsair if you want. Other than that, don't relinquish the payment until the unit is inspected by corsair like Howpet suggested. Don't fret too much over this or waste too much time on it. It might not even be dead... he could be overloading it and/or using adapters to run 4 cards which are overloading it and shutting it down. i dont think that psu can run 4 cards natively.
Old August 15, 2013, 08:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Probably just need to leave the unit powered off and unplugged for a while for the OCP circuit to reset.
Happened to me before when I was trying to do 7900GTX SLI on an old Antec Phantom PSU. :)
Old August 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yeah I don't know why a guy would buy 4 770's and skimp on a PSU. The HX1050 doesn't have nearly enough capacity to run 4 cards nor does it it even support it. It would be close to max running 3 770's. 1500W would be desirable for 4 cards and overclocking.........
Old August 15, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default tops he ran PSU 1/2 hour then calls you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMasterMX View Post
That's the impression I'm getting, and why I have an off feeling about this I think.

I was using the PSU about a month ago, but its been sitting in a box since. At the time I didn't really think to test it, serves me right Y_Y

yes keep your cash till the RMA comes back working, then deduct shipping cost of RMA

for testing/over loading PSU on quad set-up that melted the internal thremal fuse.

NOTE: if psu seal broken he owns it

250 Watts per card, 4 = 1000 watts 84 amps needed on 12v rail where PSU states 87.5A

leaving only 3 amps for system

no free rides

NOTE: if PSU seal broken he owns it

Last edited by KaptCrunch; August 15, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 05:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Probably just need to leave the unit powered off and unplugged for a while for the OCP circuit to reset.
Happened to me before when I was trying to do 7900GTX SLI on an old Antec Phantom PSU. :)
This is good advice.

Also, you should ALWAYS test out immediately something before trading or insisting to see it working in person or at least a video of it. Even if he 4-way 770, it should safely shutdown not kill it outright. Folding or Bitcoin mining is harder on the PSU over long period than just trying to run 4-way 770.