Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2013, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Default 3000VA UPS's and 2x 1500VA UPS's

Looking at a interesting setup here in part's I have collected over time.

My current server setup has a redundant power supply (2 Power supplies) which currently has each Supply plugged into a seperate 1500VA smart UPS power supply, that way when the primary UPS is exhausted in a failure the server will see it as a failed power supply, switch the the backup and draw of the 2nd UPS.

Now I also have a 3000VA smart UPS which I will be able to bring online once I move the system and install a 30A breaker.

These are older units so not concerned with the UPS warranty, the ideal setup would be to have both 1500VA ups's plugged into the 3000VA UPS for extended runtime, I know this is not best practice but does anyone have experience in in if this will work, all units put out a true sine wave compared to a stepped wave.

The backup situation would be to run everything off the 3000VA ups, with the server plugged into the 1500VA as a backup, however that would leave 1 1500VA unit unused and would require me to install a seperate 15A outlet in addition to the 30A outlet.

Any creative suggestions?
Old July 19, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellon View Post
Looking at a interesting setup here in part's I have collected over time.

My current server setup has a redundant power supply (2 Power supplies) which currently has each Supply plugged into a seperate 1500VA smart UPS power supply, that way when the primary UPS is exhausted in a failure the server will see it as a failed power supply, switch the the backup and draw of the 2nd UPS.

Now I also have a 3000VA smart UPS which I will be able to bring online once I move the system and install a 30A breaker.

These are older units so not concerned with the UPS warranty, the ideal setup would be to have both 1500VA ups's plugged into the 3000VA UPS for extended runtime, I know this is not best practice but does anyone have experience in in if this will work, all units put out a true sine wave compared to a stepped wave.

The backup situation would be to run everything off the 3000VA ups, with the server plugged into the 1500VA as a backup, however that would leave 1 1500VA unit unused and would require me to install a seperate 15A outlet in addition to the 30A outlet.

Any creative suggestions?
30A breaker use with a 10 AWG wire min.

i gather they only have comm ports to SW control

powerchute app does rest
Old July 20, 2013, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Have 10 AWG wire for the outlet as well, it's only going to be a 4-5ft run so should be more then fine, control will be though network management, each UPS will have a APC9619 card connecting it to the switch so they could be monitored centrally (Otherwise APC only lets you connect a single UPS to a single server so would need 3 servers to monitor 3 UPS's)

Only part I'm not sure of is the layout, if I should attempt having both 1500VA's plugged into the 3000VA for extended runtime.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Anyone else with any insight? Tried daisy chaining UPS's?
Old August 29, 2013, 03:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corellon View Post
Anyone else with any insight? Tried daisy chaining UPS's?
The only problem I can see, and someone who is more electrically inclined please correct me if I am wrong.

The UPS Units you are using, when they become drained, but have AC Current supplied, will they revert to a charging state or bypass? I only ask because if they go into charging state that would actually make them require more V than the 3000VA will be able to supply on Battery itself. Which in theory would cause a shut down.

My only suggestion, drain one of the 1500VA's to 1/4 state, plug it into the 3000VA when its fully charged and plugged in, then put load on the 1500VA and disconnect the 3000VA from the wall and see what happens. Use something simple like a light that isn't sensitive to a sudden shut down and see if it works.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com