Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2013, 02:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default SLI 780s and OC i7 920, Should I upgrade

Hey Everyone,

I pulled the pin on two EVGA GTX 780s ACX and am now trying to get my i7 920 (C0) to around 4GHz, but I'm wondering if my Corsair HX860 has got enough oomph to handle the new hardware and OC. In total the system has;

i7 920 1366 (OC'ing to ~4Ghz, can safely hit high 3.X for certain)
24 GB (6x4GB) Corsair Dominator 1600 Ram
1x Asus Blu-Ray reader
1x Asus DVD Burner
2x Crucial M4 RAID 0
1x Seagate 3TB 7200
1x WD Green 2TB
2x 120mm CPU Fans
1x 200mm fan
~3x 120mm fan
Corsair HX860 PSU
and the odd usb accessory.

PSU calculators are coming up with some widely varied results, but most are leaning to high 700s. The only thing I'm not sure on is the whole 'rails' thing. I have now idea what kind of amperage on the rails I need (or which ones for that matter).
Old June 21, 2013, 02:16 PM

My System Specs

Your PSU will be fine.
Old June 21, 2013, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If it's an HX850 or AX860 they are a single rail design, it doesn't matter which connectors you use. In either case, it should be able to handle dual 780's while gaming. If you are folding on them, I might consider getting a beefier unit.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The folding is what I was more concerned with. I'd like to let it run overnight and most days and only stop folding when gaming. I guess I'll see how it goes. If it's not enough I'd like to upgrade to maybe a ~1000W unit that's fully modular that I can get sleeved cables for it (because there's no way in hell I'm trying it myself).

With that in mind, I'm assuming Corsair is probably my only bet? An AX1200 is the only thing I can find that seems to fit the bill.
Old June 21, 2013, 03:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Silverstone Strider 1000w is 100% modular.
Old June 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The XFX PRO 1000W is a nice unit too. Also single 12V rail and 100% modular.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't think of the strider. The white sleeved cables would look awful nice in my 600T white...

While I like the look of the XFX, I'd go for Seasonic/Corsair or Silverstone first. Mostly personal preference though, I've never heard anything bad about the XFX PSUs
Old June 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not sure if it's true but according to this the XFX Pro Black Edition series and Corsair's AX series PSU's are both based on Seasonic X-Series KM3 units.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, a better PSU will really help power efficiency, but if you work hard to keep voltages and temperatures low, you won't run into problems with your current PSU other than it putting off extra heat and not being as efficient. Also, you can cut your power consumption by using 3 memory sticks vs 6 or turning down the o/c on them. I only use 3 sticks just so I can have a lower voltage overclock. What are you using to cool the CPU? If you have the money to burn, the haswell chips are pretty badd*** and PCIe 3.0 8x lanes add up to the same as your 16x lanes on the current motherboard you have... otherwise LGA 2011 with a Xenon E5 chippie will make that thing SING with full x16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 glory without hacked support! (and they boast better power consumption numbers than ivy bridge from what I've seen)

InWin seems to make some great PSU, XFX used to have a decent name, but I'm not certain anymore... Seasonic and Corsair still have a great name. The go-to review site for PSU is JonnyGURU.com - Coolermaster V1000 1000W Review imo, the days of needing more than a 1kw PSU are far behind us if you're not doing more than 2x GPUs.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Yes, a better PSU will really help power efficiency, but if you work hard to keep voltages and temperatures low, you won't run into problems with your current PSU other than it putting off extra heat and not being as efficient. Also, you can cut your power consumption by using 3 memory sticks vs 6 or turning down the o/c on them. I only use 3 sticks just so I can have a lower voltage overclock. What are you using to cool the CPU? If you have the money to burn, the haswell chips are pretty badd*** and PCIe 3.0 8x lanes add up to the same as your 16x lanes on the current motherboard you have... otherwise LGA 2011 with a Xenon E5 chippie will make that thing SING with full x16 lanes of PCIe 3.0 glory without hacked support! (and they boast better power consumption numbers than ivy bridge from what I've seen)

InWin seems to make some great PSU, XFX used to have a decent name, but I'm not certain anymore... Seasonic and Corsair still have a great name. The go-to review site for PSU is JonnyGURU.com - Coolermaster V1000 1000W Review imo, the days of needing more than a 1kw PSU are far behind us if you're not doing more than 2x GPUs.
I usually Ramcache and might Ramdisk pretty soon, so I'd like to keep the 6 sticks.

As for the Haswell.... it's tempting but I don't know if I can justify buying more PC stuff at the moment! I might have to try just one 780 and possibly sell the other one before I register it. I'm a little disturbed at my impulse shopping

Or just man up and use both