Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
The folding is what I was more concerned with. I'd like to let it run overnight and most days and only stop folding when gaming. I guess I'll see how it goes. If it's not enough I'd like to upgrade to maybe a ~1000W unit that's fully modular that I can get sleeved cables for it (because there's no way in hell I'm trying it myself).

With that in mind, I'm assuming Corsair is probably my only bet? An AX1200 is the only thing I can find that seems to fit the bill.
my 920 is half dead due to running @3.6 ghz over a course of 9 months 7/24 operation

then pushed to 3.8 for gaming later 2 cores dropped out after a week temps hitting 54c

so keep it under 3.6
Old June 21, 2013, 09:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I usually Ramcache and might Ramdisk pretty soon, so I'd like to keep the 6 sticks.

As for the Haswell.... it's tempting but I don't know if I can justify buying more PC stuff at the moment! I might have to try just one 780 and possibly sell the other one before I register it. I'm a little disturbed at my impulse shopping

Or just man up and use both
Use both or return one back to where you bought it without opening. If you try selling it, you will lose lots of money.

C0 chip run hot and I have never heard of C0 doing 4.0 unless you put through crazy amount of v core.

Luckily I have a D0 for sale for cheap lol get an AX860I and be worry frée for a while or a 1050i I think is next one up.
Old June 22, 2013, 03:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why would you get the i? you really want all the monitoring bs that costs $30 more and doesn't really work?
AX860 is the same psu without the Corsair link crap(at least till it matures some).

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
my 920 is half dead due to running @3.6 ghz over a course of 9 months 7/24 operation

then pushed to 3.8 for gaming later 2 cores dropped out after a week temps hitting 54c

so keep it under 3.6
It might stay around 3.6 after all. For some strange reason the P6T Deluxe V2 I had before I switched to the G1 Sniper, seems to OC way better than the Gigabyte. I had my chip at 3.9 something for a little bit (though the longest stress test I bothered with was 6 hours, so it may not have been truly stable). But this Gigabyte seems really touchy. I may tinker with it next week, but it's really not seeming to like 3.8. Admittedly it's been a couple years since I OC'd so I'm probably a little rusty on the settings. Really 3.6 should be more than enough anyway though.

As for the AX1200i, I'm definitely not looking at the 'i' version. Just isn't worth the substantial price jump at the moment. It's kind of like the 'bluetooth' overclock on some motherboars. Kind of a 'all-show' feature in my opinion.
Old June 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm... I have the gigabyte UD5 and I was able to easily hit 3.8 Ghz on a power-saving overclock. I find the board great for overclocking, so I'm surprised the G1 would have issues... could jut be your CPU? If 3.6 Ghz is killing your 920, you just have an unlucky chip. Also, you can get into Haswell pretty decent price if you do get the itch! Someone I know from the states says you can get into an i7 cpu+mobo combo for under $350. But... I guess it's not that cheap when you add in memory since it requires a lower voltage ram than x58 uses :/

I am finding my CPU does limit me in some games, but it's really a game by game scenario. You'll have some games that are heavy on the CPU, but the rest aren't. The best thing to do is to monitor your GPU usage in games and if you're not hitting 85% or higher GPU usage and you're fps is tanking, it means CPU bottlenecks.
Old June 22, 2013, 12:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's probably just me be rusty on the settings. I find the GB board's bios is really different from the first few boards (mostly ASUS) that I ever tinkered with and some things seem quite different. I'm sure when I take the time and really go through everything step by step properly, I'll get more out of it. Even past 3.6GHz on Prime 95's Blend Test I never got past low 70s with the Megashadow cooler so I've got some temp room as well (especially if I switch back to the Raven 01 Case that's been in my closet for a year :D ).

Little too busy this weekend to get back to tweaking the bios. I'll probably look up a few guides too since it's really been a while since I tinkered with the voltages and clocks as much.

An upgrade to Haswell isn't a terrible option, but it just doesn't feel like enough 'bang-for-buck' at the moment. If the DDR4 boards do come with intel's next 'tick-tock' update, maybe I'll change over. It's not like the 920s haven't aged well, and I could always pick up a used 970 or 980 for a decent price soon I imagine. (Well maybe not the 980 so much)
Old June 26, 2013, 02:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

On the same topic, will my X-750 be able to power another 780? (detail under system spec)