Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2013, 10:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile PSU Cables:Self-sleeve or Pre-sleeved

Hey guys. So, I want to get a new PSU, possibly one that is 1000 watts and 80+ Platinum to handle overclocked SLIs and CPU. I like the Antec HCP since Corsair doesn't have a 1000 80+ Platinum. And I want the cables sleeved to get rid of rigidity and help with the overall look of my system. I have never done cable sleeving before and I am not sure whether I should just buy the already made sleeves?

I know my current PSU can handle SLI but I like to have my cards and CPU overclocked. Overclocking will push the power envelope and I want extra headroom. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old June 18, 2013, 03:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Corsair have the AX960.. so close to 1000 it makes no difference.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 18, 2013, 04:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd recommend the SeaSonic Platinum 1000
Old June 18, 2013, 05:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you have never sleeved before, I'd recommend AGAINST sleeving an entire power supply unless you are willing to put many hours of work into it.
Old June 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I like the corsair sleeving better than the straight up seasonic (even though some models are seasonics ). They're individually sleeved. Go with the AX1200i, it'll (properly) do up to 3 way sli/xfire.

If you're doing SLI I would recommend going overkill on the PSU so that it runs cool. When you push a PSU it's simple: the fan gets turned on/up more. And the sleeving doesn't have the annoying multicolour look at the terminals.

But if you don't care about the multicolour terminals go with the seasonic, they're bulletproof!
Old June 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

He's only gonna pull 600w~ at full load with that rig inc a second GPU.. 1200w is a bit pointless unless you are considering tri-sli
1000w will do tri-sli but for the reasons above I would aim higher but for dual-cards then 850 - 1000w is perfect.

Looking at the AX 860 myself for dual 780's on an i7 950, which sucks allot more power than your 3570k.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old June 18, 2013, 05:35 PM

My System Specs

650W is easily enough for GTX780 SLI + 3930K. There is a huge difference in quality in presleeved cables and ones you do yourself. They use a 1x1 weave versus a 3x3 weave of higher quality sleeving. Also little to no heatshrink versus 2 inches. But is is also a lot of work to sleeve a power supply properly. Expect to spend 20-30 hours at the minimum to do the entire system.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Corsair have the AX960.. so close to 1000 it makes no difference.
I believe you mean AX 860i and that is good PSU. I will not get it because my current one is just a notch below that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I'd recommend the SeaSonic Platinum 1000
I definitely like Seasonic stuff who also happen to make Corsair PSUs. And yes the 1000 Platinum is what I am aiming for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krajee View Post
If you have never sleeved before, I'd recommend AGAINST sleeving an entire power supply unless you are willing to put many hours of work into it.
Ok. Point dully noted. I will look to buy some pre-sleeved cables so long that they don't cost more than my PSU.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
I like the corsair sleeving better than the straight up seasonic (even though some models are seasonics ). They're individually sleeved. Go with the AX1200i, it'll (properly) do up to 3 way sli/xfire.

If you're doing SLI I would recommend going overkill on the PSU so that it runs cool. When you push a PSU it's simple: the fan gets turned on/up more. And the sleeving doesn't have the annoying multicolour look at the terminals.

But if you don't care about the multicolour terminals go with the seasonic, they're bulletproof!
I am considering just 1000W since I will never go 3-SLI. And no, I don't case for if it's multicoloured or not as long as it performs and lasts a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
He's only gonna pull 600w~ at full load with that rig inc a second GPU.. 1200w is a bit pointless unless you are considering tri-sli
1000w will do tri-sli but for the reasons above I would aim higher but for dual-cards then 850 - 1000w is perfect.

Looking at the AX 860 myself for dual 780's on an i7 950, which sucks allot more power than your 3570k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
650W is easily enough for GTX780 SLI + 3930K. There is a huge difference in quality in presleeved cables and ones you do yourself. They use a 1x1 weave versus a 3x3 weave of higher quality sleeving. Also little to no heatshrink versus 2 inches. But is is also a lot of work to sleeve a power supply properly. Expect to spend 20-30 hours at the minimum to do the entire system.
Actually, overclocking everything causes a system to pull a lot of power. I will post some reviews later that showed how much power a 3930/3960 with 2-way SLI pulls. Close to 800 watts. So I like pushing my stuff harder, meaning a better PSU around 1000 Watts is needed when I step up to Extreme platform.

I can put the hrs but I am not sure what the costs are and how much stuff to order. So I will look around for stuff that are pre-sleeved. I would love to put time behind sleeving but maybe in December. Do you know any shop other than Dazmode and modDIY | PC Modding, Case Mods, Modular Cables, PC Mod Supplies I would like a black and red colour patern to go with my system colours.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:25 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post

Actually, overclocking everything causes a system to pull a lot of power. I will post some reviews later that showed how much power a 3930/3960 with 2-way SLI pulls. Close to 800 watts. So I like pushing my stuff harder, meaning a better PSU around 1000 Watts is needed when I step up to Extreme platform.

I can put the hrs but I am not sure what the costs are and how much stuff to order. So I will look around for stuff that are pre-sleeved. I would love to put time behind sleeving but maybe in December. Do you know any shop other than Dazmode and modDIY | PC Modding, Case Mods, Modular Cables, PC Mod Supplies I would like a black and red colour patern to go with my system colours.
With my CPU @ 4.6GHz and both cards @ 1150MHz my system is pulling under 650W from the wall when with everything under full load. Assuming 90% PSU efficiency that is about 585W of DC power.

You really don't need huge hoking power supplies anymore.