Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2013, 11:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
With my CPU @ 4.6GHz and both cards @ 1150MHz my system is pulling under 650W from the wall when with everything under full load. Assuming 90% PSU efficiency that is about 585W of DC power.

You really don't need huge hoking power supplies anymore.
So I'll take your word for it and keep this PSU that I have. Now the next question would be, should I buy from Corsair or moddiy and I want it not to have any heatshrink so that they bend easily and don't restrict anything.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What do you guys think about this: Seasonic/Corsair Single Sleeved Power Supply Modular Complete Cables Set (Black/Red) - modDIY.com
Is it too expensive compared to what I can make by myself or is it reasonable?
Old June 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If that is $327 for just the cables then yes, imo it is too expensive. You could do it yourself for around the same price or cheaper, collect the necessary tools and you can have custom length for all of your cables along with mdpc goodness.

Although it's not exactly fun to sleeve up a power supply the rewarding factor of staring into your beauty custom PC is that much greater. It's worth it to do it yourself.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
If that is $327 for just the cables then yes, imo it is too expensive. You could do it yourself for around the same price or cheaper, collect the necessary tools and you can have custom length for all of your cables along with mdpc goodness.

Although it's not exactly fun to sleeve up a power supply the rewarding factor of staring into your beauty custom PC is that much greater. It's worth it to do it yourself.
It comes with a lot of other cables like Internal USB, Audio, HDD LED, PWR SW, RST SW, PWR LED, Fan cables.. or should I just order from Corsair?

The price is too much for sure.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
It comes with a lot of other cables like Internal USB, Audio, HDD LED, PWR SW, RST SW, PWR LED, Fan cables.. or should I just order from Corsair?

The price is too much for sure.
You can get all those kind of cables from aquatuning for 1-3 dollars each and re-sleeve them yourself. The corsair ones are pretty nice imo, I had a set before when I had the ax 750 but then you are left without having sleeved cables like the mentioned above.

I say if you can afford it treat yourself to some MDPC goodies and tools. :) You will be much happier with the finished product and satisfaction of having done it yourself.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
You can get all those kind of cables from aquatuning for 1-3 dollars each and re-sleeve them yourself. The corsair ones are pretty nice imo, I had a set before when I had the ax 750 but then you are left without having sleeved cables like the mentioned above.

I say if you can afford it treat yourself to some MDPC goodies and tools. :) You will be much happier with the finished product and satisfaction of having done it yourself.
Ok. I will check out MDPC and see what I can get out of there. I think 60 cm length is good for all cables. What do you think?
Old June 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Would 2 x 10 meters red MDPC SMALL-Sleeve be enough for PSU cables and 5 meters be enough for SATA III cables?
Old June 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Ok. I will check out MDPC and see what I can get out of there. I think 60 cm length is good for all cables. What do you think?
It depends how anal you are about cable management. I would take a string and make mockups of how long you want them to be. You might want your 8 pin cpu longer than your 24 pin and pcie cables like I did.

Quote:
Would 2 x 10 meters red MDPC SMALL-Sleeve be enough for PSU cables and 5 meters be enough for SATA III cables?
Honestly I can't remember how much I had to order when I did my PSU. This sort of thing is hard to get a solid answer. I remember asking around and everyone told me the same thing. Measure your cables and do the math. That is the only way to get a sure shot answer. Also it is a good idea to get 10% or more extra to account for mistakes and miscalcuations. Personally I would get 20-25% extra. I was extremely close with mine and didn't have much left at all. 5 Meters is definitely enough for the sata III cables, infact way too much(assuming you only use a couple storage drives).
Old June 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
It depends how anal you are about cable management. I would take a string and make mockups of how long you want them to be. You might want your 8 pin cpu longer than your 24 pin and pcie cables like I did.

Honestly I can't remember how much I had to order when I did my PSU. This sort of thing is hard to get a solid answer. I remember asking around and everyone told me the same thing. Measure your cables and do the math. That is the only way to get a sure shot answer. Also it is a good idea to get 10% or more extra to account for mistakes and miscalcuations. Personally I would get 20-25% extra. I was extremely close with mine and didn't have much left at all. 5 Meters is definitely enough for the sata III cables, infact way too much(assuming you only use a couple storage drives).
Thanks for the input. I will make the 24-Pin ATX and PCI-E cables no longer than 18 inches and make the 8-Pin CPU connector cable 30 inches along with the power,reset,pwr led,hdd led, SATA and usb.

I decided to request my account be closed on MDCP after seeing that the website doesn't have any type of protection. I will be waiting for the confirmation that they closed and deleted my account. I wish I had noticed this before I clicked register.

I think I'll buy their stuff once they have their site protected and secured.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I will make the 24-Pin ATX and PCI-E cables no longer than 18 inches and make the 8-Pin CPU connector cable 30 inches along with the power,reset,pwr led,hdd led, SATA and usb.

I decided to request my account be closed on MDCP after seeing that the website doesn't have any type of protection. I will be waiting for the confirmation that they closed and deleted my account. I wish I had noticed this before I clicked register.

I think I'll buy their stuff once they have their site protected and secured.
The payment is done through PayPal so it should be safe.

Alternatively you can order darkside sleeving from Dazmode which is said to be of near equal quality.