Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2013, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default RIVE PCI-E Aux Power n Tri SLi 680 Classy's

* Same post on ROG, but not really getting an answer*

Hey folks
Couple of quick questions, I'm presently at work for another 8 days then will be home to "another" GTX 680 Classified Card (couldnt pass up a little Tri Sli fun when I get home....benching and what not).
The GTX 680 Classified has impressed me thus far with the cool temperatures and I do generally consider a 3rd Card when they run cool enough in SLi....as in did have Tri SLi 580's, but certainly didnt consider Tri SLi 480's
Anyhow:
1. I will require all 6 PCI-E 6+2 cables for 3 680's, obviously this doesnt leave me an available 6 Pin PCI-E power plug for my PCI-E 6 Pin Aux power header on my RIVE Mobo. I was twigged onto using one of my Molex to PCI-E adapters (comes with my GPU's as an accessory) so I can run the additional 6 Pin power to my Mobo.
Now, that adapter has 2 female 12v Molex to 1 6 Pin PCI-E, Can I run a single Molex cable from my PSU and use 2 of the "daisied" Molex Connectors off the single cable to my 2 Molex connectors on the Adapter?
Or am I required to use 2 individual 12v cables from my PSU and plug each one into the adapter?

If I can use one 12v Molex off my PSU its easier as I have one vacant, if I have to use 2 individual cables, I'll have to get creative :)

2. My present 4.7 OC is stable with my 680 SLi arrangement, now I understand the stability may or may not be there after installing a 3rd GPU.....and am prepared to do more tweaking.
What are the Voltages that generally require "Tweaking" with the RIVE / 3930K with a Tri SLi arrangement? RIVE guru's on this one ;)

Sorry guys, again I had these voltages figured out on my X59 Classified running Tri SLi 580's, but not sure of what voltages on this Board are primarily for PCI-E Controller,

Cheers

Old June 11, 2013, 11:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As far as I'm aware the "bonus" power plug does little or nothing special even if you OC your GPUs.
plugging anything in there is just an eyesore IMO.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ The question really is whether its necessary for 3 GPU's (for sure 4 GPU's).....to say it "does nothing" isnt correct at all....it provides additional 12v power to the PCI-E portion of the Mobo and I'm not willing to "risk" $2700 in HW by blowing it off ;)
Dont want this Thread to be a "debate", just want to know whether I need 2 seperate Molex from PSU to adapter or one.

Old June 12, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ The question really is whether its necessary for 3 GPU's (for sure 4 GPU's).....to say it "does nothing" isnt correct at all....it provides additional 12v power to the PCI-E portion of the Mobo and I'm not willing to "risk" $2700 in HW by blowing it off ;)
Dont want this Thread to be a "debate", just want to know whether I need 2 seperate Molex from PSU to adapter or one.
get yourself another AX12

current PSU supports 100 amps on 12v rail and tri-setup = 49 amps

(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)
Total Power Draw : 195 Watts = 16.25 amps

trouble free following the recommended power forumula
Old June 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ You lost me...I know the PSU can handle the Tri SLi arrangement fine, its whether a single Molex power cable (using 2 of the "chained" connectors) can be plugged into the PCI-E adapter, then plugging the PCI-E 6 Pin adapter into the mobo or is it supposed to be 2 single 12v Molex cables coming from psu to the 2 molex connectors on the adapter?

I've never used the molex to 6 Pin PCI-E adapters before and not sure the "proper" way to configure....again using the 6 pin PCI-E adapter only o plug into the RIVE Mobo, not a GPU

Old June 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow! You are going tri 680 classys? I thought you were grabbing the 780s from eVGA!
Old June 12, 2013, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 780's (2) are still in my Step up Queue #120....will likely be another 4-6 wks yet. I like playing around with Tri SLi, especially when I find very cool running Cards, these 680 Classy's idle at 25c (28% Fan speed) and peak out around 65c with 38% Fan speed....amazing really.
I am curious to see how they perform on a single 1440p monitor with some of the latest DX11 Titles, I'm expecting scaling to be better then my previous Tri SLi 580 arrangement.

The only thing that turns me off of the 780's is the higher temps I'm going to see running them SLi......even with an ACX Cooler....still pretty warm, seeing guys with peak temps in the mid to high 70's.

I'll decide, may bail out of the Queue and just keep the 680 Classy's until Maxwell....no biggie really ;)

I like running some the Benchmarks as well, always fun, especially now that I hv a decent OC on the 3930 and the 40 Lanes PCI-E.

Old June 12, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
^^^ You lost me...I know the PSU can handle the Tri SLi arrangement fine, its whether a single Molex power cable (using 2 of the "chained" connectors) can be plugged into the PCI-E adapter, then plugging the PCI-E 6 Pin adapter into the mobo or is it supposed to be 2 single 12v Molex cables coming from psu to the 2 molex connectors on the adapter?

I've never used the molex to 6 Pin PCI-E adapters before and not sure the "proper" way to configure....again using the 6 pin PCI-E adapter only o plug into the RIVE Mobo, not a GPU

I see 8 x 6+2 possible connections on pci-e power on the hx1ki

don't they give enough cables to connect tri-sli or extra 6+2 connector cables
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; June 12, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old June 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
The 780's (2) are still in my Step up Queue #120....will likely be another 4-6 wks yet. I like playing around with Tri SLi, especially when I find very cool running Cards, these 680 Classy's idle at 25c (28% Fan speed) and peak out around 65c with 38% Fan speed....amazing really.
I am curious to see how they perform on a single 1440p monitor with some of the latest DX11 Titles, I'm expecting scaling to be better then my previous Tri SLi 580 arrangement.

The only thing that turns me off of the 780's is the higher temps I'm going to see running them SLi......even with an ACX Cooler....still pretty warm, seeing guys with peak temps in the mid to high 70's.

I'll decide, may bail out of the Queue and just keep the 680 Classy's until Maxwell....no biggie really ;)

I like running some the Benchmarks as well, always fun, especially now that I hv a decent OC on the 3930 and the 40 Lanes PCI-E.
Oh I see. So you are playing the waiting game. I hope you get them soon. I think you should wait for the GTX 780 Classified because they will have better cooling than what you have now. The heat should not be a problem if you have enough air coming in and going out. I wish I could go 3-way GTX 780 Hydro Copper and I might but it's overkill for 1440P. It would be amazing for my 3D projects and gaming. The ACX cooler can run at 20 degrees cooler compared to the stock cooler on GTX 780 when put in a better case. So think what they can do with the Classys.

I am currently waiting for the IB-E. I was going to pull a trigger on several i7 extreme chips here but I think it's not worth it when the IB-E is right around the corner. So I too will play the waiting game and upgrade.

Regarding your PSU, I think you have more than enough plugs to run 3-way SLI and still have outlets to plug in your mobo.
Old June 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Crunch.....other 2 8 pins your looking at (far right) are EPS 12v, both are CPU already plugged into Mobo. Another guy over on ROG confirmed that the power draw from the Mobo PCI-E is small compared to the GPU's that a single Molex cable is fine.

Hero, not interested at all in the 780 Classy cards, they will only have ACX Coolers that means twice as want fans wailing away and expelling heat into my case, not to mention there ugly IMO, everyone is going for the "space age MSI'ISH Lightening" looking Cards, can't stand them.

As said I may cancel and skip the 780's all together, Maxwell will likely be ground breaking in a yrs time!