Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   leaky battery (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/61457-leaky-battery.html)

grinder May 31, 2013 11:03 PM

leaky battery

Replaced a PSU battery today... very typical considering the batteries are a consumable item. First ever "leaky" battery tho. PSU still operates fine with the replacement... enyone else have a hand full of battery acid trying to replace a PSU battery? ick

supaflyx3 May 31, 2013 11:13 PM

I wasn't aware PSUs had batteries, nor have I disassembled one because I enjoy not being dead. o.o

dustin1706 June 1, 2013 12:18 AM

I'm assuming you mean UPS instead of PSU? I had a battery swell and leak in a ups but it was only about 15% more expensive just to replace the whole thing.

Soultribunal June 1, 2013 05:21 AM

Most of the time the VRLA batteries in UPS units will rarely if ever leak even at their EOL stage.
Only the really really cheap ones from China.

There are actually good battery dealers nearby myself. I can get Japanese batteries for most UPS units much much cheaper than a UPS.

My APC 1300 XS , I got its replacement batteries for $19.23 each *needs two*. The same UPS to buy would have been $200 :)

I have had some UPS batteries in the bigger KVA units leak though. Makes a mess.
Baking Soda FTW.

-ST

grinder June 1, 2013 09:25 AM

late night posting :doh:

Yeah this model is a china-special... guess I know better now.

enaberif June 1, 2013 09:37 AM

The little batteries that are encased in plastic are notorious for doing this. Usually getting to warm or overloaded then they expand and POP make a mess :( Most UPS systems are a write off when this happens but the odd time you can be lucky and have no issues.

t0m June 1, 2013 02:41 PM

i made a thread here when mine popped. it didnt appear to leak though, the battery was full of white dust and the inside of the unit was dry. the ups is fine with a replacement in it :)

Soultribunal June 1, 2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 712668)
i made a thread here when mine popped. it didnt appear to leak though, the battery was full of white dust and the inside of the unit was dry. the ups is fine with a replacement in it :)

'Proper' VRLA batteries , that is what will happen to them.
I remembery your post well actually.
Usually the Taiwan / Jap batteries are good for not making a mess when they fail. But, as part of any thing else I think anyone who uses a UPS should check them twice a year.
I do, and it prevented an issue when the XS needed new ones.

Ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure anyday.

-ST

t0m June 1, 2013 03:37 PM

i just went back to have a look at that thread and got all warm and fuzzy inside. thanks again for all your help :)

KaptCrunch June 1, 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 712587)

I have had some UPS batteries in the bigger KVA units leak though. Makes a mess.
Baking Soda FTW.

-ST

nada on the baking soda (bubbles) for leaves a acid for your fighting a acid with a acid

rinse really well after to wash away active residue, otherwise will lift off plating on battery tray.

if leaking/swelling battery, is the unit overcharging battery.