Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2013, 04:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Power supply age...

How long you keep your power supplies?

I have a 6 year old(I think) Corsair TX-750 in my rig, been running flawless since the first day. It ran numerous setups without a single hic-up.

Lately I have had 2 friend who lost some components due to an old failing power supply(mind you they were cheap ones).

Now that I put in a 2nd 560Ti448 in there and OC'ed it also, I'm not worried about the PSU providing power, but a little something is bothering me due to it's age.
Old April 14, 2013, 04:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've got one in my HTPC that is probably as old as you... But I have always over spent when it comes to PSU's, because to me the PSU is the most important piece of any build/electronic component... with that said I have only had one problem with any of mine and that was the fan failed after about 6 years so I changed it out and it purrrrrs nice now.
Old April 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I actually made a thread with a poll not that long ago about this topic. Here's a link:

69 votes...53.62% leave a PSU till it dies.

POLL: How long would you run a power supply before replacing it?
Old April 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting...

From what I gathered, the corsair of that series were/are pretty decent quality wise, that was why I bought one originally.

Run till it blows then.

:cheers :)
Old April 15, 2013, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
Interesting...

From what I gathered, the corsair of that series were/are pretty decent quality wise, that was why I bought one originally.

Run till it blows then.

:cheers :)
Very few of Corsairs lineup isn't solid. The TX series was some of the best at that time , that you could get.
Its not surprising that it has made it this long. I'd keep it going for sure, though I do know capacitors age over time, at most you have a 700W unit :). Basically the only time most of us change PSU's is for new technology (i.e. the Digital Powered Corsair units for me) or efficiency/noise considerations.

If all that checks out, run it till your signature comes true.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com