Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2013, 08:31 AM
Top Prospect

Default another power supply for prodigy dilemma

Anyone have any experience with either of these units?
Looking at picking up either this or this unit
I've been finding mixed reviews on both...good and bad.
They will be powering a gtx670,1-2 pumps, 4 fans, 2 ssd's, and a i7 3770k in a mini itx setup that i would like to overclock.
I had one silverstone 2 years ago, and it died within 24 hours, which is the only reason I am asking.

OR

Do i use a power supply extender for my 1050w coolermaster and make it fit...but i think it will look like ass on my desk with half the psu hanging outside the case
Old February 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seasonic X850

My power cord 120v was to big fore power socket on the supply but other than than that the most power that will fit in a Prodigy.

(Edit: P8Z77 Deluxe ),3770K at 4.1 , SSD, 2.5' HDD, 2x 220 mm fan, 2 x 120 mm on MB, Apogee Drive II pump , GTX 660 TI ( Zotac ) , will add 2x 120mm soon too
Old February 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
Anyone have any experience with either of these units?
Looking at picking up either this or this unit
I've been finding mixed reviews on both...good and bad.
They will be powering a gtx670,1-2 pumps, 4 fans, 2 ssd's, and a i7 3770k in a mini itx setup that i would like to overclock.
I had one silverstone 2 years ago, and it died within 24 hours, which is the only reason I am asking.

OR

Do i use a power supply extender for my 1050w coolermaster and make it fit...but i think it will look like ass on my desk with half the psu hanging outside the case

Although the SS you might have had two years ago died (Which unit, as they cut one OEM because of problems) the newest gold ones on your first link is great.
You are not going to use more the 60% of its capacity on load. Good Enhance platform, really solid.

I would go with it, you don't need anymore power than that.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 23, 2013, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

pretty sure it was a strider 1000...
think I may go with that gold model...gives me some headroom if something changes.
Thanks ST
Old February 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
pretty sure it was a strider 1000...
think I may go with that gold model...gives me some headroom if something changes.
Thanks ST
No worries. That SS 1000 were good units. Might have just been bad luck. Nothing ever is perfect, but yeah that new Gold one will fit no problem (SS has made it there mission to get the best possible platform in the smallest unit).

Good choice,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I second the SS Gold, was using it's larger sibling (750w). No issues.