Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   another power supply for prodigy dilemma (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/59838-another-power-supply-prodigy-dilemma.html)

HiTi February 23, 2013 09:31 AM

another power supply for prodigy dilemma

Anyone have any experience with either of these units?
Looking at picking up either this or this unit
I've been finding mixed reviews on both...good and bad.
They will be powering a gtx670,1-2 pumps, 4 fans, 2 ssd's, and a i7 3770k in a mini itx setup that i would like to overclock.
I had one silverstone 2 years ago, and it died within 24 hours, which is the only reason I am asking.

OR

Do i use a power supply extender for my 1050w coolermaster and make it fit...but i think it will look like ass on my desk with half the psu hanging outside the case

ZZLEE February 23, 2013 09:49 AM

Seasonic X850

My power cord 120v was to big fore power socket on the supply but other than than that the most power that will fit in a Prodigy.

(Edit: P8Z77 Deluxe ),3770K at 4.1 , SSD, 2.5' HDD, 2x 220 mm fan, 2 x 120 mm on MB, Apogee Drive II pump , GTX 660 TI ( Zotac ) , will add 2x 120mm soon too

Soultribunal February 23, 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiTi (Post 692388)
Anyone have any experience with either of these units?
Looking at picking up either this or this unit
I've been finding mixed reviews on both...good and bad.
They will be powering a gtx670,1-2 pumps, 4 fans, 2 ssd's, and a i7 3770k in a mini itx setup that i would like to overclock.
I had one silverstone 2 years ago, and it died within 24 hours, which is the only reason I am asking.

OR

Do i use a power supply extender for my 1050w coolermaster and make it fit...but i think it will look like ass on my desk with half the psu hanging outside the case

Although the SS you might have had two years ago died (Which unit, as they cut one OEM because of problems) the newest gold ones on your first link is great.
You are not going to use more the 60% of its capacity on load. Good Enhance platform, really solid.

I would go with it, you don't need anymore power than that.

-ST

HiTi February 23, 2013 11:20 AM

pretty sure it was a strider 1000...
think I may go with that gold model...gives me some headroom if something changes.
Thanks ST:thumb:

Soultribunal February 23, 2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiTi (Post 692412)
pretty sure it was a strider 1000...
think I may go with that gold model...gives me some headroom if something changes.
Thanks ST:thumb:

No worries. That SS 1000 were good units. Might have just been bad luck. Nothing ever is perfect, but yeah that new Gold one will fit no problem (SS has made it there mission to get the best possible platform in the smallest unit).

Good choice,

-ST

3.0charlie February 23, 2013 06:48 PM

I second the SS Gold, was using it's larger sibling (750w). No issues.