Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2013, 04:40 PM
MVP

Default NZXT HALE90 750W Explosion

Yep. My psu blew up tonight when I turned my system on taking out my 6870 along with it. Not sure what else may have blew but holy hell was it loud. My daughter was on my lap at the time and got quite the fright. Not sure what to do. I bought the psu on kijiji off a store that had closed down so I have no receipt nor a paddle to paddle up sh!t creek with it seems.

Edit:
Added images for those who interested in that sort of thing. As you can see the damage on the 6870 is pretty obvious. The damage to my ga-z68a-d3h-b3 is a little harder to see but the gray areas near the pci-e x16 and that capacitor there are burnt spots.
Attached Images

Last edited by igot6strings; February 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
Allstar

Sorry to hear that. Kinda surprised at the Hale90 are really good psu's if memory serves. I'd still contact NZXT and see what they say.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
MVP

Board is dead too. PCI-E x16 slot is burnt. Fans work when I tried power the board up with an old 400w psu but the onboard video with my 2500k nor the 6450 I tried in either slot would work. The fan on the 6450 didn't spin either. Christ I hope the CPU didn't bite it as well but I've no way to test. I've been off work for nearly a year now due to illness so this is the last thing I need. I hope there's somthing nzxt can do for me but the way things have been going lately I don't have much hope left.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:03 PM
MVP

Case is also dead. Power button fried as well. Holy hell.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. That is a Superflower unit, I'm very sorry to hear that that happened it was one of the best that SF had at the time. Sometimes they just die, and there is nothing you can do. Hopefully there is help to be had,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 15, 2013, 08:01 PM
MVP

I sent in a ticket. Fingers crossed.
Speaking of fingers. I just realized my finger was on the button when the whole thing went pop. The button was fried too so it could of been much worse than a few fried computer parts had it jumped thru to my finger. Eek...
Old February 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

cases don't die, just replace the switch (though it's most likely the mobo)..

Pitty we don't have a NZXT rep here. Really hope you get it sorted.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:09 PM
MVP

Yeah I realize its just the switch on the case thats dead and yeah I can probably repair that quite easily myself. I'm surprised it was able to do that much damage and go that far. It shows how destructive situations like this can be. On the bright side, the colours were pretty though.

I believe there was/is a NZXT rep on here. Xnine. I'll see how the ticket process goes and if that doesn't work or Xnine hasn't noticed this thread by then I'll possibly send a PM their way.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

Ummm....actually yes we do.

OP, drop XNine a line if NZXT RMA dept is being slooow to respond. He is a NZXT rep...might as well make use of the resource!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

We do:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/members/xnine.html

Though given the situation with the purchase its hard to see what exactally they can do beyond replace the PSU.

-ST

And I just got ninja'd by my own brother in arms.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com