Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   NZXT HALE90 750W Explosion (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/59713-nzxt-hale90-750w-explosion.html)

igot6strings February 15, 2013 03:40 PM

NZXT HALE90 750W Explosion

2 Attachment(s)
Yep. My psu blew up tonight when I turned my system on taking out my 6870 along with it. Not sure what else may have blew but holy hell was it loud. My daughter was on my lap at the time and got quite the fright. Not sure what to do. I bought the psu on kijiji off a store that had closed down so I have no receipt nor a paddle to paddle up sh!t creek with it seems.

Edit:
Added images for those who interested in that sort of thing. As you can see the damage on the 6870 is pretty obvious. The damage to my ga-z68a-d3h-b3 is a little harder to see but the gray areas near the pci-e x16 and that capacitor there are burnt spots.

Nodscene February 15, 2013 03:42 PM

Sorry to hear that. Kinda surprised at the Hale90 are really good psu's if memory serves. I'd still contact NZXT and see what they say.

igot6strings February 15, 2013 05:02 PM

Board is dead too. PCI-E x16 slot is burnt. Fans work when I tried power the board up with an old 400w psu but the onboard video with my 2500k nor the 6450 I tried in either slot would work. The fan on the 6450 didn't spin either. Christ I hope the CPU didn't bite it as well but I've no way to test. I've been off work for nearly a year now due to illness so this is the last thing I need. I hope there's somthing nzxt can do for me but the way things have been going lately I don't have much hope left.

igot6strings February 15, 2013 05:03 PM

Case is also dead. Power button fried as well. Holy hell.

Soultribunal February 15, 2013 05:33 PM

Wow. That is a Superflower unit, I'm very sorry to hear that that happened it was one of the best that SF had at the time. Sometimes they just die, and there is nothing you can do. Hopefully there is help to be had,

-ST

igot6strings February 15, 2013 07:01 PM

I sent in a ticket. Fingers crossed.
Speaking of fingers. I just realized my finger was on the button when the whole thing went pop. The button was fried too so it could of been much worse than a few fried computer parts had it jumped thru to my finger. Eek...

Dzzope February 15, 2013 07:03 PM

cases don't die, just replace the switch (though it's most likely the mobo)..

Pitty we don't have a NZXT rep here. Really hope you get it sorted.

igot6strings February 15, 2013 07:09 PM

Yeah I realize its just the switch on the case thats dead and yeah I can probably repair that quite easily myself. I'm surprised it was able to do that much damage and go that far. It shows how destructive situations like this can be. On the bright side, the colours were pretty though.

I believe there was/is a NZXT rep on here. Xnine. I'll see how the ticket process goes and if that doesn't work or Xnine hasn't noticed this thread by then I'll possibly send a PM their way.

AkG February 15, 2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 690883)

Ummm....actually yes we do.

OP, drop XNine a line if NZXT RMA dept is being slooow to respond. He is a NZXT rep...might as well make use of the resource! :thumb:

Soultribunal February 15, 2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 690883)

We do:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/members/xnine.html

Though given the situation with the purchase its hard to see what exactally they can do beyond replace the PSU.

-ST

And I just got ninja'd by my own brother in arms. :ph34r::ph34r: