Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
MVP

Thanks for the analysis ST. I haven't the faintest clue what these parts do or what they are called. The technical insight is appreciated.

Just so everyone knows I did not and would never open the psu case. The pic above was found online I just labelled what I could see as damaged on my unit. I used the macro setting on camera to peer in with a flashlight to help me see.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a PSU take out a whole system, but it was a few years ago now.

It was an Antec PSU, and it blew the southbridge right off the MB. It also shot parts off the PCBs of the harddrives, which Seagate was cool enough to cover under warranty.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:16 PM
Manufacturer Rep

I did advise igot6strings earlier to not even attempt opening the PSU. The last thing we need is for him to end up like fried chicken. Since it's the weekend no one is in the office, and I'm 3 states away from the office. However, communication has been open and we'll help him out.

This is kind of new territory, because usually it's a bent side panel, or a power button, or a broken latch or something. This is quite a bit more serious than anything of that nature, and we want to be sure that our ducks are in a row. Assumptions are bad. And so were the Avalanche last night... bleh
Old February 17, 2013, 09:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
I did advise igot6strings earlier to not even attempt opening the PSU. The last thing we need is for him to end up like fried chicken. Since it's the weekend no one is in the office, and I'm 3 states away from the office. However, communication has been open and we'll help him out.

This is kind of new territory, because usually it's a bent side panel, or a power button, or a broken latch or something. This is quite a bit more serious than anything of that nature, and we want to be sure that our ducks are in a row. Assumptions are bad. And so were the Avalanche last night... bleh
Yeah no matter what you don't want to open it. The Primaries are probably still charged. Last person who did that a few years back it didn't end well for him.

Would love to hear the report on the PSU once its back in NZXT's hands. SF is good kit so this has to be a one off.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 18, 2013, 03:25 AM
MVP

Yeah it a definitely a one in a million case that shouldn't reflect poorly on NZXT or SF especially after how professional, serious and promptly they are handling this situation. I should be getting an update later today from XNine who is communicating with their engineers in Taipei. I will probably know then what to do next with the PSU. I'm assuming it will be heading on a nice trip to an engineer somewhere for inspection/analysis.

I'll keep the thread updated.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:37 AM
MVP

Ram is good. Tested and working fine. Gives me hope that my 2500k made it out alive.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I witnessed a PSU ignite last fall... coolermaster silent pro 1000W went poof after 3 hours in a brand new PC...was replaced with an XFX 1000 and is still going strong today.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
Ram is good. Tested and working fine. Gives me hope that my 2500k made it out alive.
In the case I quoted above the CPU made it, so here's hoping....
Old February 18, 2013, 01:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
In the case I quoted above the CPU made it, so here's hoping....
A lot of the times now on good boards, if the PSU does blow up then the board takes the death in place of the components. With the exception of the GPU since it was drawing its power through the PCI-e. However if the RAM is any evidence, in just taking 2 phases and surviving I peg the CPU's chance at survival even higher.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 18, 2013, 01:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I witnessed a PSU ignite last fall... coolermaster silent pro 1000W went poof after 3 hours in a brand new PC...was replaced with an XFX 1000 and is still going strong today.
Not saying the CM S Pro is bad...but I am not overly surprised either. It is (or at least was in your case ) a FSP built unit. Havent run FSP in YEARS...since one killed a crap ton of HDDs on me.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr