Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Oh, bugger. Is FSP still a company? Sorry to hear about that. I guess the fuggly copper colour on one of my PC P&C's is safe. I'll avoid blue.

Edit: Kricky! FSP is FORTRON

I will avoid these as well.

Don't jump the gun so fast IRQ.

Anything Quality by Antec is either Seasonic or Delta. They have next to zero FSP in there lineup from my understanding. They learned a long time ago, that article is old.
Silverstone is generally speaking Enhance and very good. The old Nightjar's and some of the Sub 500W striders were FSP but those have slowly faded to the curb.

SPI, TT and OCZ still use them though OCZ has started using even seasonics in there MK3's.

Just as a FYI and PSA.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whew! Thanks for the info! That's really good to know.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:30 PM
Manufacturer Rep

FSP has delivered some solid PSU's in the past, there's a reason why we went with them, not to mention that they're using a completely new process on our PSU's that they haven't even used themselves yet.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
FSP has delivered some solid PSU's in the past, there's a reason why we went with them, not to mention that they're using a completely new process on our PSU's that they haven't even used themselves yet.
Some being the operative word. Its not that I am doubting the corporate decisions Xnine, as they can be complicated in there own right to make....its the OEM.

If you buy a Chevy, and it burns you......but you give it one more shot again and you get the same result...what are the chances you are going to buy a 3rd one?

The only saving grace right now of FSP (since I've seen inside of the V2's now) is your platform is even better than there best Aurums...so I am hoping that once JG gets one on the bench I will be proven wrong on its performance.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 8, 2013, 05:49 AM
MVP

Comparing the images of the internals from the v1 and v2 the v2 looks alot cleaner on the inside. The components also appear to be of higher quality. Since I have no clue about how a psu works I can't really comment but I can honestly say from an appearance perspective the V2 looks like a much higher quality psu than the first generation.

I can't wait to get my hands on the V2 and the other components NZXT sends me. I'll do a full unboxing and all that fun stuff when it gets here. No word on when yet. NZXT said it should have things finalized today with regards to replacement/reimbursement. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that it gets sent by air rather than ground. Can't wait though. It'll be a good birthday though if it arrives before than. I'll have to meet some of you guys in DayZ and we'll party it up.
I also owe Xnine a beer or 12 for all the help he has provided. I am so very grateful for everything that hes done for me.

Xnine buy yourself some lotto tickets, you got lots of karma on your side right now.
Attached Images

Old March 8, 2013, 06:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks mean absolutely nothing.
Component selection and layout means everything. Look at how tight of a package enhance fit in there silverstone SFF 450W GOld PSU. It looks like a Tangle of crap inside...but...performance wise its extremely good.

SilverStone ST45SF-G 450W SFX Series Power Supply Review

The V2 looks light on the AC filtering stage vs the V1.
Still, we need numbers / ripple / regulation / PF before we can really start deciding what is what. FSP has a LOT to prove to me before I will let one of them back into my stable.

NZXT Hale90 850W Review

Where as Superflower has done Extremely well at making solid units for a long time (when assembled correctly ).

-ST

Old March 8, 2013, 06:48 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Some being the operative word. Its not that I am doubting the corporate decisions Xnine, as they can be complicated in there own right to make....its the OEM.

If you buy a Chevy, and it burns you......but you give it one more shot again and you get the same result...what are the chances you are going to buy a 3rd one?

The only saving grace right now of FSP (since I've seen inside of the V2's now) is your platform is even better than there best Aurums...so I am hoping that once JG gets one on the bench I will be proven wrong on its performance.

-ST
I understand where you're coming from. Afterall, I'm a modder/builder myself, and there's some brands out there I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole because of past experiences.

I think FSP has got something good going on here. They decided to boost and enhance their Aurum platform and give us their latest and greatest. Here's a review (from another forum, so please don't hurt me) NZXT HALE90 V2 1000 W Review | techPowerUp

Provides insight to ripple, numbers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
Comparing the images of the internals from the v1 and v2 the v2 looks alot cleaner on the inside. The components also appear to be of higher quality. Since I have no clue about how a psu works I can't really comment but I can honestly say from an appearance perspective the V2 looks like a much higher quality psu than the first generation.

I can't wait to get my hands on the V2 and the other components NZXT sends me. I'll do a full unboxing and all that fun stuff when it gets here. No word on when yet. NZXT said it should have things finalized today with regards to replacement/reimbursement. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that it gets sent by air rather than ground. Can't wait though. It'll be a good birthday though if it arrives before than. I'll have to meet some of you guys in DayZ and we'll party it up.
I also owe Xnine a beer or 12 for all the help he has provided. I am so very grateful for everything that hes done for me.

Xnine buy yourself some lotto tickets, you got lots of karma on your side right now.
Thank you for the kind words, but luck hasn't been on my side for quite some time now, lol. All I want is the Avalanche to win tonight. I'm going to the game after my rather long day at school (I'm leaving in a half hour for 9 straight hours of school, bleh!)

I try my best to help wherever and whenever I can. And that's for anyone, even people who don't buy NZXT stuff, I try to help them with cooling/building/budgeting. That's what the community should be about.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Oh, bugger. Is FSP still a company? Sorry to hear about that. I guess the fuggly copper colour on one of my PC P&C's is safe. I'll avoid blue.

Edit: Kricky! FSP is FORTRON

I will avoid these as well.
you can add coolermaster to the list of FSP

no disrepect on the review didn't show bottom side of PCB

if FSP was serious would show pictures

that they cleaned up thier process

of witch in the pass have failed on PCB soldering

i'm with Soultribunal Chevy's

do leopards change their spots

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 8, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
All I want is the Avalanche to win tonight. I'm going to the game after my rather long day at school (I'm leaving in a half hour for 9 straight hours of school, bleh!)
The Who? Oh, you mean the Nordiques. Ah Yes, Go Avs!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 8, 2013, 07:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. Afterall, I'm a modder/builder myself, and there's some brands out there I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole because of past experiences.

I think FSP has got something good going on here. They decided to boost and enhance their Aurum platform and give us their latest and greatest. Here's a review (from another forum, so please don't hurt me) NZXT HALE90 V2 1000 W Review | techPowerUp

Provides insight to ripple, numbers, etc.

Thank you for the kind words, but luck hasn't been on my side for quite some time now, lol. All I want is the Avalanche to win tonight. I'm going to the game after my rather long day at school (I'm leaving in a half hour for 9 straight hours of school, bleh!)

I try my best to help wherever and whenever I can. And that's for anyone, even people who don't buy NZXT stuff, I try to help them with cooling/building/budgeting. That's what the community should be about.
One review is good, but I check 3 sites usually on PSU's to see where they stand in the world.
Deviation on the 3.3 isn't so great but thats subjective. 3.3 or 5 have issues you kill HDD's and SSD's. I.e. how FSP killed my last sets of SSDs lol. So it remains to be seen if that is one off or something they all deal with.
It is, an interesting platform choice I will give you that, and having FSP even better than there Best says something. For many of us in the Niche , we recommended NZXT when SF was OEM. This one, might be a bigger pill to swallow.

Thanks for the link, nothing wrong with linking to TPU. Crmaris and I talk all the time on another forum bout these things so I'll get some of his personal insight as well.

I know we see all Japanese Caps on this, but who for this V2 Platform is on your QVL List by chance?

-ST