Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2013, 12:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Just for transparency sake, I wanted to let everyone know that our Engineer in Taiwan came to the conclusion that yes, in fact, the problem did originate from the PSU. While we'll have to deal with the OEM, that's not something that we'll make the customer wait through (and this is a general rule, not just in this case).

So, our people will be looking to see if the parts that were burnt to a crisp are still available, and if not, what parts we can provide that are comparable in both price and performance. As well, I've asked that we provide a Hale 90 V2 PSU as a replacement unit for the burnt up one. We're hoping to have all of this info gathered by this friday.

Oh, and yes, I emailed Steve (igot6strings) prior to posting this.
Excellent to hear, Hopefully the FSP will serve him well *still would love you to answer that question from so long ago*.

Nice to know that when something goes this far south, it has a light at the end of the tunnel for the end user.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2013, 12:11 PM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Interesting stuff. I would really like to know what could possibly cause a catastrophic failure in a PSU like that. That sounded pretty dangerous.
Not sure. Though, with the pics and commentary igot6strings provided, I'm betting that the PSU wasn't assembled properly. It probably held out long enough to pass QC tests, shipped, and then when it went under load the components that weren't assembled properly gave out.

Man made products will always have a failure rate, and the PSU is designed so, in that event, the PSU dies without taking gear with it. Unfortunately this is one of those instances where the design ultimately failed on this particular unit.

We've had a very small failure rate on these units, and this is the first to take gear with it. The only thing to do in this instance is the right thing, and help him replace the gear he's lost.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
Not sure. Though, with the pics and commentary igot6strings provided, I'm betting that the PSU wasn't assembled properly. It probably held out long enough to pass QC tests, shipped, and then when it went under load the components that weren't assembled properly gave out.

Man made products will always have a failure rate, and the PSU is designed so, in that event, the PSU dies without taking gear with it. Unfortunately this is one of those instances where the design ultimately failed on this particular unit.

We've had a very small failure rate on these units, and this is the first to take gear with it. The only thing to do in this instance is the right thing, and help him replace the gear he's lost.
Best way to handle it. Superflower in general builds them very well and you are correct on most of there SKU's they are very low failure with protection built in to safeguard the end user.

Good to see this type of attitude in a Vendor.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 6, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Indeed! So does Superflower make PSU's in white/cream colour?
Old March 6, 2013, 01:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Indeed! So does Superflower make PSU's in white/cream colour?
Actually...I kind of want to know if their new FSP built units come in....purple'ish blue.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Oh! your not asking for much are you?
Old March 6, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Oh! your not asking for much are you?
Sorry I was being snarky. Sort of an old school joke. With FSP and their blue PSUs.

I hope NZXT never do the 'storm' blue that FSP was 'famous' for back in the day. Kinda gun shy on FSP units (since a FSP branded FSP unit nuked about 4K worth of HDDs on me a many moons ago...and told me to FOAD) and if it did come in that notorious blue...I would be running the other way. :)~

To be fair the V2 looks to be very good kit. But I probably will be hunting up the V1 instead of the V2 for a testbed.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2013, 03:27 PM
MVP

Haha. It wouldn't be so bad if it came in blue for me. My leds are all blue so even the white will appear blue when my system is on. White is great for that.
The original hale90 I had was beautiful for a psu. The V2 looks just as good if not better. Can't wait to get my hands on it and whatever the replacements may be. The sooner the better. There are Zombies that must die and I got 2hrs into Farcry3 the night before she blew. Maybe ill get lucky and it'll show up by my bday. Christ I'm old...
Old March 6, 2013, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sorry I was being snarky. Sort of an old school joke. With FSP and their blue PSUs.

I hope NZXT never do the 'storm' blue that FSP was 'famous' for back in the day. Kinda gun shy on FSP units (since a FSP branded FSP unit nuked about 4K worth of HDDs on me a many moons ago...and told me to FOAD) and if it did come in that notorious blue...I would be running the other way. :)~

To be fair the V2 looks to be very good kit. But I probably will be hunting up the V1 instead of the V2 for a testbed.
And FSP killed a few nice SSDs that a certain member donated to me too

The only saving grace is the FSP units are better than FSP's own branded Aurum's so...there might be hope. I just can't believe they didn't chose SF or Flex for V2...

-ST

Old March 6, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
since a FSP branded FSP unit nuked about 4K worth of HDDs on me a many moons ago...and told me to FOAD
Oh, bugger. Is FSP still a company? Sorry to hear about that. I guess the fuggly copper colour on one of my PC P&C's is safe. I'll avoid blue.

Edit: Kricky! FSP is FORTRON

Quote:
FSP developed their own retail brand "FSP" in 2003. They use fans manufactured by Yate loon electronics and Protechnic electric. Power supplies manufactured by FSP are sold by Antec, Sparkle Power International (SPI), OCZ, SilverStone Technology, Thermaltake, Nexus and Zalman under their own names.
I will avoid these as well.