Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is starting to really peak my interest, will definitely be on the prowl for NZXT parts when i upgrade.
Old February 25, 2013, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I am curious how long ago that was and what model of PSU? Most of their new ones are very good.
These were a bunch that were included in the case. I would say about bought about 4-6 years ago give or take a bit.

Now back on topic I can't wait to find out how this all ends for the OP.

Old February 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On the cases.. I'm really torn cos they seem to have everything I want in a case (well mostly) but I just can't get myself to like any of the styling.. they are either way too ugly or too flash(phantoms).
Old February 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
MVP

I hear ya on the Phantom for sure. I'm not much for cases that look like they belong on the space station but I do see that they fill a niche for that sort of thing. The switch 810 is probably my favorite of all their cases or anyones cases at this point but its way too pricey for someone like me. If I were to rob a bank the first thing I would buy is the gunmetal version of it:
Attached Images

Old February 25, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
These were a bunch that were included in the case. I would say about bought about 4-6 years ago give or take a bit.
The PSUs included in the cases were typically the ones that blew up in a spectacular fashion. They were from around the same time frame. I had it happen with the Sonata cases the most. I can't remember what PSU it was in there.

I can't hold back from the "Gamer" series PSUs from Antec though, and nothing over 500W from Antec has ever died in my experience.

I just installed an Antec Gamer 520 PSU, and it's a nice little unit. Real Japanese caps and OEM is Seasonic. I don't think you can go wrong with that.
Old February 25, 2013, 07:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly...my rule of thumb is any psu that comes with a case is going to be less than optimal -at best. I like it when mfg'ers make two SKU's one with a psu and one without...as you can see exactly how $$ the PSU is...usually 20-30 bucks.

PSU is just one area I never am willing to compromise on.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 25, 2013, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well this particular PSU would have been one that I would have bought separately, as it actually seemed alright.

Mind you information regarding the insides of a PSU are much more readily available now compared to back then.

My rule of thumb is nothing with crap caps if I can avoid it.... and I try. I definitely don't cinch on PSUs myself, and I'm fond of the high end Corsair and Seasonic units.

However, when trying to make budget on a build, especially back then, you had to do your best with what information you had. Granted the machines got a good 3 years before detonating because of the cheap caps.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
The PSUs included in the cases were typically the ones that blew up in a spectacular fashion. They were from around the same time frame. I had it happen with the Sonata cases the most. I can't remember what PSU it was in there.
Bingo, they were in the Sonata cases. Fried every damn component in the things, including the cd/dvd drives.

Old February 25, 2013, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Bingo, they were in the Sonata cases. Fried every damn component in the things, including the cd/dvd drives.
Yeah, they blew the southbridge and knocked components right off the PCB of the HDs
Old February 25, 2013, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That's scary. I guess I should be grateful I have suffered little over the years.