Old January 21, 2013, 08:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

seasonic X 850 Gold or AX 750/850, currently using ax 750 working like a charm
Old January 31, 2013, 03:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'll agree with Rollergold on his Corsair AX860 Platinum recommendation. It's fully modular, beautifully sleeved all black low profile cables, made by Seasonic, and has a 7 year warranty.

Some may point out the benefits of getting the 860i so you can monitor your PSU but personally I don't think Corsair Link is worth the extra money plus isn't a big part of going modular the fact that you can omit more cable clutter not add another gimmick cable to test your cablegami skills with. Furthermore the AX860i is made by Flextronics while the AX860 is indeed a true Seasonic which speaks for itself. Ohh and it's on sale right now... Corsair AX860 860W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan
Old February 5, 2013, 03:36 AM
MVP

Seasonic Platinum and Gold have been updated recently but I noticed that most shops are still clearing their old stock and slow on following up with the replacements. I know a friend who ordered a Platinum 860 from Newegg US, and the pic clearly showed the XP2 model but the model number was not written anywhere. He ordered it and received the XP, but it was still awsome.

Gold PSUs (KM) have been replaced by KM3, and the cheapest Seasonic made KM3 750W PSU is this:

Newegg.ca - XFX P1-750B-BEFX 750W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

So for Gold, Seasonic KM3 or XFX-BEFX rebrand.
and for Platinum, Seasonic XP2 or Corsair AX rebrand.

If you see a Corsair AX Gold, then it's based on the old KM model. Still awesome but there's better for the same price.

Know exactly what you're getting.

Last edited by Luay79; February 5, 2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Whats the xfx silvers based on?

eg
XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply [P1-850B-UKB9]

Been thinking of getting one as they are cheaper than the Corsair and Seasonic bronze units. Want to make sure it's decent quality first.
(Finally replacing the CM 750W that came with my case.. better late(though not too late if you get me) than never)
Old February 5, 2013, 05:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
I'll agree with Rollergold on his Corsair AX860 Platinum recommendation. It's fully modular, beautifully sleeved all black low profile cables, made by Seasonic, and has a 7 year warranty.

Some may point out the benefits of getting the 860i so you can monitor your PSU but personally I don't think Corsair Link is worth the extra money plus isn't a big part of going modular the fact that you can omit more cable clutter not add another gimmick cable to test your cablegami skills with. Furthermore the AX860i is made by Flextronics while the AX860 is indeed a true Seasonic which speaks for itself. Ohh and it's on sale right now... Corsair AX860 860W ATX 12V V2.31 80 Plus Platinum Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan
Nothing wrong with the Flextronics, since it actually regulates better and has less ripple than the Seasonic.

Either way they are amazing. I don't think the fan on mine will ever switch on. That being said the damn PCI-e Cables (Double ones) are a poor design from Corsair. Because of that, I will be getting some NZXT PCI-e Cable extensions and using those off the ones from Corsair rather than the corsair ones itself.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 5, 2013, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Whats the xfx silvers based on?

eg
XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply [P1-850B-UKB9]

Been thinking of getting one as they are cheaper than the Corsair and Seasonic bronze units. Want to make sure it's decent quality first.
(Finally replacing the CM 750W that came with my case.. better late(though not too late if you get me) than never)
Seasonic as well. MD12 for the bronzes iirc. I'd guess the silvers (and gold) are also seasonic brands.

Speaking of that, NCIX has the Gold XFX 750w on sale for 100 bucks. Crazy good deal imo. I may pick one up and swap my silver out as a backup and troubleshooter.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old February 5, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would think the same however I don't generally see any Seasonic "Silver" units about (or corsair etc)

Can anyone confirm 100% what they are based on and if they are quality units?
Old February 5, 2013, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well there are a few really good PSU's out there to use.
I have a Seasonic X Series 660 Gold and a Seasonic Platimium Series 860. Both are nice high quality PSU's. However for sleeving these the pin out for the 24 pin has 4 double wires and connects to PSU using a 10 pin and 18 pin connector, making doing a realy great sleeving job a little tricky.

Silverstone Styder and Cooler Master Silent Pro's are a one to one pin out making sleeving a breeze. Both are high quality PSUs. I have 2 Cooler Master Silent Pros and they are run great for 4 years now.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I would think the same however I don't generally see any Seasonic "Silver" units about (or corsair etc)

Can anyone confirm 100% what they are based on and if they are quality units?
That is because Silver is very much last year's thing. Though any of the XFX Silver units would have been Seasonic Based designs (Corsairs Silver Lineup was CWT, not Seasonic).

Right now Gold is really where you will find the higher end quality stuff.

The no Brainer companies to pick a PSU from are: Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, Silverstone. SS does have some junk on the low low end but anything north of 500W is quality. Mostly Enhance based. Fully modular too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Well there are a few really good PSU's out there to use.
I have a Seasonic X Series 660 Gold and a Seasonic Platimium Series 860. Both are nice high quality PSU's. However for sleeving these the pin out for the 24 pin has 4 double wires and connects to PSU using a 10 pin and 18 pin connector, making doing a realy great sleeving job a little tricky.

Silverstone Styder and Cooler Master Silent Pro's are a one to one pin out making sleeving a breeze. Both are high quality PSUs. I have 2 Cooler Master Silent Pros and they are run great for 4 years now.
Speaking for myself and the reading that I have done, there are less and less junk PSU's out there vs good ones nowadays. 3 Years ago, your statement would have held to be a lot more true.. Even the Vaunted OCZ and FSP have really stepped up there game to bring quality to the table.

You are more than likely to find a quality unit than one that is lacking (unless you buy at TD as they seem to carry more junk brands still).

My thoughts at least,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 5, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good to know. Can't justify going gold at the mo (with the prices here / in the UK) so the Silver is right up my street. ($150 vs $235)

I do find it odd though that the Bronze ones are very common and silver aren't. Surely there is a market for something in the middle?