Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 07:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Launches CX Series Modular Power Supplies

Corsair announced today the addition of modular versions of their affordable CX Series PSU line.

The CS Series Modular power supply units are available in 430, 500, 600, and 750 watt configurations, and provide the same reliability of any other Corsair PSU on a price just as affordable as the original CX Series lineup. Unlike most other budget power supplies, the CX Modular PSUs feature a hybrid modular cable system that allows users to use strictly the cables they need to power what’s inside their case, just like any high-end high-cost modular PSU. So not only does your case stay neat and tidy inside, but the price of these new units won’t hurt your wallet, which is always a good thing at this time of year.

Article URL: Corsair Launches CX Series Modular Power Supplies | Hardware Canucks
Old December 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
MVP

At least they didn't screw it up like their TX "modular" line up, where there's 2*pci-e 6+2 pins, molex and sata cables all hardwired in, on top of the 8 and 24 pins.

Regardless, still overpriced as usual. These days, a Seasonic 550w modular 80+gold can be had for ~$70, Antec 620w modular 80+bronze (also seasonic oem) can be had for ~$60. Both of which have 5 year warranties as opposed to the 3 from Corsair.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Regardless of cost differentals it is nice to see quality Modular lower wattage units making it become more mainstream.

Corsair was one of the few to do that so many years ago (Quality, not modular).

Good to see with keeping tradition.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
Allstar

I've always been willing to pay more for modular PSUs. With this new release, the advantages for higher-end products are: higher efficiency ratings, better warranties, completely modular systems, higher wattages, (maybe?) quieter fans. sound about right?
Old December 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I've always been willing to pay more for modular PSUs. With this new release, the advantages for higher-end products are: higher efficiency ratings, better warranties, completely modular systems, higher wattages, (maybe?) quieter fans. sound about right?
Yeah that about sums it up. Really by raising the efficencies we will always get quieter PSU's or as we have seen late, even passive cooled (up to 20% load I think?) on a lot of units. Because less power is wasted as heat.

Really as of late, all the major players (with the exception of Coolermaster, and for some reason Silverstone's massive Hercules unit) make good units.

Its a buyers market for this stuff, so long as you read up a little bit.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder who is makeing the guts of the power supply ,I think the old CX 430watt was made by the low end of channel well and the capacitor's were Teapo and Samxon,not the real good ones.But that is a older non modular desighn.Hopeing the new CX's are made from better parts even tho this one did fairly well according to johnnyGuru.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old January 8, 2013, 12:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anybody heard anymore about these? The CX500M seems like a pretty good deal at $60 from microcenter.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius Jr. View Post
Anybody heard anymore about these? The CX500M seems like a pretty good deal at $60 from microcenter.
Its a fairly balanced budget PSU. Shouldn't be bad for what it is, corsair is usually pretty solid. Better quality than the regular CX series.

-ST