Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   I need a new UPS (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/58608-i-need-new-ups.html)

Dr_BenD_over December 18, 2012 08:54 AM

I need a new UPS

Ye olde APC Back Ups 500ES has kicked the final bucket and I need a replacement. This only has to provide enough power to allow a safe shutdown of an Atom 230 with a router and a modem plugged in as well. APC seems more expensive than Cyper Power or Tripplite but I have no experience with either, my other UPS is APC and it's all we use at work. Any suggestions?

BlueByte December 18, 2012 09:07 AM

Get a replacement battery if its just a battery warning. looks to be $35 to replace.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

Soultribunal December 18, 2012 09:41 AM

What type of budget do you have?

The most important thing for you , is finding one that isn't a standby. You want online version, or the delay in switching could be greater than the hold up time on your PSU and drop the system/router.

APC is good, I use them almost exclusively. However there is little wrong with any of the other major players.

Newegg.ca - APC BR700G 700 VA 450 Watts 6 Outlets Back UPS RS LCD 700 Master Control

The LCD Control on it is nice, allows you some useful information.

-ST

*I wonder if Westom will find this thread*

** Edit - Moved to Power supply section as that seems more appropriate for this type of question

Dr_BenD_over December 18, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 678665)
Get a replacement battery if its just a battery warning. looks to be $35 to replace.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

This was a smoke and fire type of failure, not the battery.

sswilson December 18, 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 678773)

I thought you knew already that you weren't supposed to let the magic smoke out of the case. :)

Dr_BenD_over December 18, 2012 04:43 PM

It escaped when I wasn't looking...

BlueByte December 18, 2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over (Post 678773)

Oh well in that case, I use APC myself because thats the tried and tested make. But I have had a few clients request Cyber Power and have been happy with them. So if they are cheaper I would go with them.

I hate it when that black smoke breaks free, its like the magic fairy dust that makes everything work.

botat29 December 18, 2012 06:33 PM

check ups for less they have refurb unit with new batteries

UPSforLESS | Power Backup Experts | Home

sswilson December 18, 2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 678804)
check ups for less they have refurb unit with new batteries

UPSforLESS | Power Backup Experts | Home

Decent, looks like they offer a 1 yr warranty on their refurbs which is probably all you'd get with a new one anywise. :)

Any idea of where they ship from? (I notice their prices are in Canadian so my initial concern about paying duty / brokerage should be fine).

botat29 December 18, 2012 06:58 PM

They ship from Ontario, I order often batteries