Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Remember the old BFGs? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/58504-remember-old-bfgs.html)

jibz December 12, 2012 02:53 PM

Remember the old BFGs?

I've used a few BFG 450w power supplies for a few builds back in the day and non have ever failed me. So now that I find myself having sold my test bench PSU I dug an old BFG out of the closet and set it up with the system I'm currently testing and long behind, this 450w psu is running a 7970 under full load without even getting warm.

I love these little guys, RIP BFG.

Soultribunal December 12, 2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibz (Post 677461)
I've used a few BFG 450w power supplies for a few builds back in the day and non have ever failed me. So now that I find myself having sold my test bench PSU I dug an old BFG out of the closet and set it up with the system I'm currently testing and long behind, this 450w psu is running a 7970 under full load without even getting warm.

Ironically I had one of there 550W units just deep six a client build.
So much for the Iconic good Andyson units.

-ST

Perineum December 12, 2012 04:46 PM

I had a 650W BFG blow up, it was loaded with cheap caps. Good thing it had lifetime warranty... err... wait a minute....

Dead Things December 12, 2012 05:52 PM

I currently have a BFG EX-1200 powering my daily driver with a Xeon X5675, 2 GTX580's and a GTX460 - all overclocked to the tits. Under full folding load, the rig pulls about 1.1 kW from the wall. She's a beauty!

I bought this PSU from 3.0 a long time ago, so it's put in a good day's work to say the least.

3.0charlie December 12, 2012 06:03 PM

I remember that beast, it powered my quad 9800GX2s foldi... err, heater rig back then.

Soultribunal December 12, 2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Things (Post 677527)
I currently have a BFG EX-1200 powering my daily driver with a Xeon X5675, 2 GTX580's and a GTX460 - all overclocked to the tits. Under full folding load, the rig pulls about 1.1 kW from the wall. She's a beauty!

I bought this PSU from 3.0 a long time ago, so it's put in a good day's work to say the least.

That BFG was good, probably the pinnacle of Andysons designs, and had I had the cash at the time I would have bought it from 3.0.

The one that aced the rig I am rebuilding was not of the same pedigree. And as a result the client is now out his rig, and some components.

-ST

Dead Things December 12, 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 677532)
I remember that beast, it powered my quad 9800GX2s foldi... err, heater rig back then.

Ha! I just bought the 580's in the past couple of weeks. Guess what they replaced?

elmorejohn46 December 22, 2012 01:19 PM

I did'nt have a power supply but I had two BFG 6800 Ultra running in SLI ,but I sold them before I bought the next round of cards and did'nt lose to much on reselling them.

ZZLEE December 22, 2012 03:13 PM

Gave a 9800 GTX OC + to someone at times I miss my fist card.

DarKStar December 22, 2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibz (Post 677461)

Consider yourself lucky :) - Yes how can I forget them, however one thing, In my opinion their support was terrible. I have an 8800GT BFG that failed on me, mind you, this could be a 8800 issue, which was barely used (so much for the lifetime warranty !) but they will go on blaming NVIDIA of course. Last few GPUs I had were all BFGs, never had any problems before except with the 8800GT single slot, but apparently it was not uncommon. Even got some BFG T-shirts so can never forget them.