Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2012, 02:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Has Anyone Heard of KenTek Power Supplies

I had a neighbor that bought a 1050watts Kentek and he was telling me it was such a great deal ,he got it for $49 and he said it says it will run a quad SLI system.I told hime to be careful because if it could run a quad system why does it just have one PCI-e 6 pin plug and 2 - PCI-e 8 pin plug.He told me he had adapters .He has three GTX-480's that he bought at a flee market for $325,He has a old X58 motherboard but he did'nt know the brand.I offered to help him,but he was one of those persons that knew it all.A long story shorten the power supply started clicking and poping and then smoke started comeing from the power supply.I tried to tell him that the power supply might run one of them ,he just had two in it when all this happen.I have tried to look up the Kentek power supply but I can't find who makes it.But I did'nt think a 1050watts power supply for $49 would be any count.As it has been said to me you get what you pay for.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old December 6, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He killed his powersupply and probably all of his other hardware.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like you answered your own question You identified it as an explosive power supply already when you noted it didn't have nearly enough connectors for its wattage. From what I see I can only find that name on Ebay / some forums where the replies say to run away.

One of the good bad PSU signs is the way it has a fake SLI logo on a very cheap looking blog that was generated by an auto-translator yet cross-referencing it with nVidia shows there are no PSUs under that brand name with actual SLI certification.

If you really want to know more about it, wait a few days with it unplugged (so caps can discharge and not zap you), then ask the "know-it-all" to open the burned thing and snap a few high-resolution pictures of it. There's some members on the forums that can ID the PCB and the components on it, unless it's so burned out that you can't even see the markings
Old December 6, 2012, 05:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh, yeah there are so many fakes and crappy ones out there.

Too bad there wasn't a stricter regulation to pull some of the BB ones that have fake UL numbers from the shelves....

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 6, 2012, 05:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm betting on there being a metal plate on it for extra weight........ ;)

But yeah, if it costs more to ship the PSU than the retail price, I'd stay away. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 6, 2012, 07:00 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'll never understand why folks will spend hundreds of dollars on fancy video cards but then decide to cheap out on the power supply. I always advise my friends when they upgrade to start with the power supply if they want to run high end gear, but time and again they (just like your friend) disregard my advice and usually end with the power supply once they've blown all their money. I feel bad for your friend who most likely just fried all his gear for the sake of a 50 dollar power supply, but on the other hand it's an expensive lesson that all of us tech heads must learn.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old December 6, 2012, 10:08 AM
Allstar

1050W for $50?! Did he get it at the flea market as well? He should unplug that now before it starts a fire and I'm not being overly dramatic here.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I didn'nt get no picture because it sent it in for a RMA.I told him not to waste the money sending in, that he needed to get a decent power supply ,but he said that it just got a defective one.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old December 9, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

lol, no telling some people..

Really, just let him work away. Warn him he'll fry everything in the PC and leave it at that. He'll learn the hard way.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:18 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelt View Post
I'll never understand why folks will spend hundreds of dollars on fancy video cards but then decide to cheap out on the power supply. I always advise my friends when they upgrade to start with the power supply if they want to run high end gear
yep, I always say to treat the PSU as a first-class citizen. Make sure you get a reputable unit (not just a good brand, but a good model from a good brand that hasn't been open-boxed), give it good airflow, and make sure it gets a dust filter. It's the only thing in the computer that can blow up your other components (besides watercooling, but that's besides the point) and/or set your house on fire