Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2012, 06:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

KenTekky Fried ... good with side of fries and slaw.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
lol, no telling some people..

Really, just let him work away. Warn him he'll fry everything in the PC and leave it at that. He'll learn the hard way.
Bingo.

Warn him...politely (or he will blame you "derp....YOU jinxed it!!")...and then get the popcorn and be sure to be there for the encore.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
Allstar

I would just show him this thread lol. it's more funny when someone thinks they're smarter than a whole forum.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I did warn him and offered to sell him my PC Power&Cooling 950watt ,but he said it was not big enough ,because he needed one that was over a 1000watts.I told him that this one puts out over a 1000watts and had a 83amps on the 12v rail,plus you can find reviews about it and they are pretty good reviews.The only thing I could find about a Kentek was run aways ,and it is a toster.But he said if it was so good why did it blow up.Well I could'nt really answer that except for the answer he gave me ,that he just got a bad one and I did too.I told him at least it came with 6 -PCIe connectors.He may have done fried his componets anyway.So I guess he will learn a lesson one way or the other.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old January 18, 2013, 10:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

they finely sent him a 1000watt kenteK back but I sold him my PC Power&Cooling 950 watt and it run his system fine ,just hope this one don't blow up on him.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old May 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
Trial Member

Default Kentek Power Supply no manufacturer info, serious problems

Just a heads up for this one. First, after researching I found no manufacturer information, so whoever manufactured these obviously did so using the name Kentek that belongs to a Laser parts company who does not manufacture power supplies, I called Kentek and was told I'm not the first to call or complain of the same issue. I purchased one on Ebay for my own computer an to write a review while I have yet to hear from the seller who has plenty more to sell. I suspect possible trademark and other legal issues besides the fact that motherboards of 600 watt or higher require the eight pin CPU connector, rarely six pin and never four pin that is just not right any way you look at it. Obviously either customs or some federal agency needs to investigate considering I would personally never attempt to use an adapter or modify the connections as there can be very serious complications or destroy one's motherboard. Too many people are trying to save money by building or repairing their own systems for such very inferior parts to be sold in such ways with obviously no oversight or at least this should be investigated considering there is talk or reviews stating systems are actually catching fire, exploding or destroying motherboards. I'm sending mine back to the seller on Ebay after writing him about the problem he has yet to answer my messages and it's becoming more and more obvious the seller was quit aware of this problem before selling such an inferior or possibly even illegal unlicensed product considering trade laws etc etc. I strongly suggest considering much further research of this product before purchasing. I'm also college schooled, Dell certified tech, many college courses in computer science, programming and have been building my own and other's systems for a few decades so i so know a little about computers though I don't claim to be a master, and I am very disappointed in this product and always sorry to report such things but I try to help others in any way I can, and this is only my own personal opinion so please don't base your own decisions based on my own opinion, legally or otherwise I don't claim to be an expert but I do suggest further research before purchasing this item.: angry2:
Old May 17, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

utube its more like 275 watts per 12v rail so 550 watt
Attached Images

Old December 28, 2013, 10:28 PM
Trial Member

ok so we know that kentek isnt a good brand, good thing i did some research before i bought one :)

can someone point me in the right direction of a good brand? dont need anything too fancy, looking to upgrade the graphics card (one with 2 dvi ports) and the processor. the power supply now is OEM (hp) 250w, ive been looking at the corsair cx500.
Old December 29, 2013, 12:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Antec HCG (high current gamers) are good, most everything from Corsair, I'd say everything from Seasonic, probably anything from Silverstone.

I would ditch the cx500 PSU though, and go with XFX PRO550W instead: http://products.ncix.com/detail/xfx-...59615-1051.htm

it's done well in reviews XFX Core Edition 550W Review and is actually made by Seasonic, which is probably everyones favorite.

Mind you, I don't know if you're buying from Canada, or what the price was on the CX500, but still.... I'd step up the PSU from what you're thinking....
Old February 8, 2014, 01:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

A quick search shows you're not alone.