Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/)
-   -   Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was trigge (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/58191-power-supply-surges-detected-during-previous-power-asus-anti-surge-trigge.html)

Varroa November 29, 2012 09:04 AM

Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was trigge

Hey Guys, I just build my PC a couple months back (see below) and twice now I have come home to my PC sitting at the bios screen with the following error:

Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit! Press F1 to start setup.

Any ideas what this is? Is my brand new PSU dieing? (I tested it with one of those cheap PSU voltage testers and it passed but I know that only tests non-load voltages). Other than this my PC has been acting fine, it runs games no problem and it encodes with all threads at 100% with no problems either.

Advice?

BlueByte November 29, 2012 09:28 AM

That or the motherboard's feature is prematurely detecting a surge. Are you able to swap out the PS and see if you get the same error. If it is the power supply I would hate to try to test it under load to find out that it is actually the power supply.

Varroa November 29, 2012 09:37 AM

Yes, I can switch it out. That is my next step but the problem is so random (I has only happened twice and never when I am home). Under load it all works fine (converting videos with all 8 threads maxed, playing Fallout/Skyrim/etc), it has only ever happened when the computer is idle.

Varroa December 10, 2012 08:44 AM

Well my computer has shown that error message several times now and one time I even found the computer off and wouldn't turn back on. I had to leave it unplugged from the wall for 30 mins before it would turn back on. I emailed Corsair and they are taking the PSU back no questions.

KaptCrunch December 10, 2012 08:57 AM

PSU or dirty power

do you have excess to an UPS to verifi if line levels are the issue or use blue planet watt meter an moniter voltage levels

have seen computer sharing ac line with upright freezer was causing brown outs and computer resetting intermittly

Varroa December 11, 2012 10:06 AM

Well, the PSU wasn't the problem. I switched it out for another brand new corsair and got the same error message the next day (hours after shipping the first one back to corsair!!:angry2: cost me $30 to ship it!!! :angry2: ). The computer is hooked up to a UPS with new batteries in it (and all reading from the UPS are good, wall voltages read good). I checked and there has been 2 new bios updates in the last 3 months since I built the machine so I updated the bios (and bypassed the UPS just in case) and I will see if it goes away. If it does then I will hook it back up to the UPS.

KaptCrunch December 11, 2012 10:25 AM

Varroa hope all is well, yes its good to keep the MB firmware up to date and other hardware

note: when flashing bios make sure you have correct bios file for manufactors change hardware on MB an keep same name but change its Rev # on MB

just saying for saving agony of making a door stop

thanks for keeping us updated

Varroa December 18, 2012 06:50 AM

So far so good, if this continues then it was either the bios or the UPS causing the problem. I am going to give it some more time before hooking the UPS back up. Corsair just received my non-to-blame PSU so I am interested in hearing what they say about it.