Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Top Prospect

Default Antec Gold Mod 750W PSU, thoughts?

Newegg.com - High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

So the thing about black friday and various other promotions is that you only put things on sale that they want to move and make provisions for more product that they want to sell. So this seems like a good deal, and it has great reviews, but I'm wondering if anyone has purchased an Antec PSU and if you think they are worth getting, or should I just hold out for this one:

Newegg.com - SeaSonic Platinum Platinum-860 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Keep in mind, I'm looking at the fact that this will save me over a hundred bucks, but only if I have to take a minimal hit on other stats. My biggest thing is that this will be used for gaming, to power an HD7970, i7 3770k OCed, 32Gb RAM, 2HDs, an SSD, and a liquid cool loop (1 pump pushing through a total of 5 120rad space, and RAM GPU and CPU)

Usually I would spend a ton of time researching before posting, but obviously this ends tomorrow, so while I'm doing research I figured I'd also see if I get some bites on this post for good opinions. Thanks for helping me save some cash guys! (btw, I'm US, so if you post other options for some reason keep that in mind)

Edit:
Last thought, I plan on redoing all the sleeving so that I can give it a nice custom look that fits into the overall aesthetic theme of the case. So things like coloured wires showing, and all that, I'm not worried about because I'll be fixing that after I buy it anyway.

Last edited by tethlah; November 22, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

So I tried editing the above post again to add this, but it kept giving me an error.

I also found this one, after all the black friday deals, it'll be 125USD

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Old November 22, 2012, 10:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The HCP units are Delta, and realistically very well built so, there is no issue with that unit whatsoever.

Get whichever one saves you the most.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
The HCP units are Delta, and realistically very well built so, there is no issue with that unit whatsoever.

Get whichever one saves you the most.

-ST
What do you mean? I don't know anything about the power supplies, Delta is a manufacturer I take it?
Old November 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
What do you mean? I don't know anything about the power supplies, Delta is a manufacturer I take it?
Yes, sorry I usually state the OEM of the actual Unit (which in this case is DELTA). They are top tier when it comes to Power Supplies, and they set the bar (with Seasonic) on soldering and build quality.
So, the HCG series is a no brainer if you can get it on sale. Not saying the other ones are bad either, you have choosen great units there to pick from.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Who makes your PSU? http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers
Old November 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
So I tried editing the above post again to add this, but it kept giving me an error.

I also found this one, after all the black friday deals, it'll be 125USD

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Get THAT one.

I own it, love it, zero problems (other than not enough juice for an OC trifire rig).

Having some headroom is a good thing imo.