Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Power Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rookie

Default How to get a valid warranty

I am beginning to get the depressing impression that it is virtually impossible for a Canadian to buy a product with a valid warranty. The problem is that most manufacturers do not have an RMA location in Canada. This means that besides having to pay an exorbitant price to ship the product to the U.S. manufacturer's RMA depot, we have to pay brokerage fees when they send it back to us by UPS. UPS charges excessive brokerage fees even on warranty items. These fees typically will be more than $100 in my location. I don't understand how this can be lawful, but it is. I seem to have ascertained that the manufacturer of OCZ power supplies does have an RMA location in Canada (in Markham, Ontario) so the next PSU I buy may well be an OCZ. Does anyone know of any other power supply manufacturer that has an RMA location right here in Canada? Perhaps this problem is a factor of the retailer rather than the manufacturer? Perhaps we should be searching for a retailer who provides his own off-the-shelf replacement service independently from the manufacturer. Are there any such retailers left? I believe this is true of Futureshop but I don' t think FS sells computer parts such as power supplies.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

RMA items are not subject to any cross border fees...upaid ur dues when u paid the taxes on the item..
Old October 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've never paid for brokerage fees on an RMA item, I didn't think there should be one even.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

HAHA well I concur forget about warranty if your Canadian .

long story but according to a "executive CS rep" for Samsung, NCIX is not a authorized Samsung retailer and by me buying it there I VOIDED my warranty . but after 3 levels of Reps and a hour on the phone I was able to register my SSD with them . the reason I had to phone was there is no listing on their site for me to register it on the Canadian site while there is on the US site .

Oh and NCIX is a authorized retailer and also has a partnership with Sammy

The new Samsung Partnership store will be located at:
Aberdeen Centre
Unit #1900 – 4151 Hazelbridge Way
Richmond, B.C. V6X 4J7
Old October 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't remember where I had to send it, but RMAing a Corsair TX750 was relatively painless.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming. I was just talking to a UPS service representative on the phone and he confirmed to me that I would be charged brokerage fees on an item I returned for warranty replacement even though it was marked "replaced under warranty" on the customs sticker by the sender. I was just reading a thread on another forum where posts indicate that several other people who returned items to the U.S. for replacement under warranty were charged high brokerage fees at the door when the replacement arrived. I wouldn't have been concerned about this except that Thermaltake mentions in their RMA policy that, although they do not charge to return the replacement item, brokerage and customs fees would be the responsibility of the receiver. I could post the URL of the thread discussing this (it's probably still in my browser history) but don't know if URL's are allowed here. As for me, I have decided it's cheaper to just buy a new psu every time one fails. That having been said, it makes me feel very much second class being a Canadian consumer and even more so by living in a rural community in Newfoundland.

Last edited by archp2008; October 19, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by archp2008 View Post
I was just talking to a UPS service rep on the phone and he told me that I would be charged brokerage fees on an item I returned for warranty replacement even though it was marked "replaced under warranty" on the customs sticker by the sender. I was just reading a thread on another forum where posts indicate that several people who returned items to the U.S. for replacement under warranty were charged high brokerage fees at the door when the replacement arrived. I could post the URL of the thread but don't know if URL's are allowed here.
That is just a typical tag line. It really depends on whom is doing the warranty replacing.
I.e. I just got my Video Card back from EVGA and payed an all mighty zero.
They marked it at 1 dollar warranty replacement and it came through flawlessly. Which is both legal and sound.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Brokerage fees aren't due to any taxes, tariffs or government regulations; brokerage fees are the courier company taking the opportunity to ding you for the service of running the package through the customs procedure. It's a gouge for which UPS is the worst offender, frankly, which is why so many people argue against using UPS when cross-border shipping.

Cross-border shipments under warranty are not charged any taxes or tariffs because the product is by definition on a two-way trip across the border -- therefore not being imported or exported -- and the relevant taxes and tariffs should have been paid when it was first imported.

If you can, try to get the company to ship it to you via the US Postal Service. They'll hand it off to Canada Post at the border, and CP only charges $5 for the handoff.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Allstar

I RMA both Antec and Enermax PSU before to the US and never got a brokerage charge. Hell even Seagate used UPS I believe and I never got a brokerage charge from them and I got 4 HDD in that RMA. PSU is one of those things that may not be worth RMA due to its weight. Unless you buy a really expensive one, replacing it may just be faster.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Corsair plus others have always been a painless RMA experience for me. I sure wish people wouldn't bitch about paying to send stuff in for RMA when 75%+ of the time it is something stupid WE do that kills our stuff. Even for those that didn't kill their own stuff, if there were NO RMA you wouldn't even get a new product for the price of shipping only.

Canadian warranties work just fine.